2-way Radios

Trigger50

I need some recommendations on good walkies or 2-way radios for hunting. My buddies & I hunt a ranch in eastern WY every yr. We need to be able to reach each other clearly from about 1-2 miles max (usually less) distance over broken country. Is there units capable of what I want? I know next to nothing about radios. I'm willing to pay good dollar for quality. With only 1 truck we share during hunting, I have been frustrated many times waiting for friends who cant follow the game plan. :mad: I figure radios will help greatly.

I agree with smarandr. I have a pair of midland gtx650, {old} that work ok. The advertised range is 25 miles, but with experience they won't go anywhere near that. 5 miles on the flat and maybe 3 with direct line of sight in the mtns. 1 mile maybe if you have a ridge inbetween you. This would be expensive but Garmin makes what they call a Rhino. No radio but texting capabilities, And they seem to work. Know a couple guys with them, Gps, camera and text, Also will show you where other person is on map and how much distance separates you. But at 600 plus a unit I just cant justify it. good luck and keep us posted on what you end up with and how well it works.

Mine are the Midland XtraTalk model LXT 380 (also old). They work very well at distances approaching 3 or 4 miles, but according to the company have a 20 mile range. I've never tried to see if they actually do, since we don't have that type of terrain and range to hunt.

I agree with smarandr. I have a pair of midland gtx650, {old} that work ok. The advertised range is 25 miles, but with experience they won't go anywhere near that. 5 miles on the flat and maybe 3 with direct line of sight in the mtns. 1 mile maybe if you have a ridge inbetween you.

This has been my exact experience with the gtx650. I really don't think you will get any better results out of a two way just because of how they work but I have not tried any of the newer units.

I'm done with the 'talk-about' style radios. I probably have 4 sets of motorola/midland style frs/gmrs radios and it seems like every pair has an issue, whether the speaker doesn't work, the microphone jack doesn't work, the radio turns off by itself, or doesn't transmit or receive properly. I've about tossed them as far as I could whenever I use them.

After borrowing a friend's VHF 5 watt radios (Motorola BPR40), I'm sold on those. Not much bigger or heavier than frs/gmrs radios, and much better quality and more reliable. The sound quality is much better too. Get some ni-cad batteries for them instead of nimh batteries though. When dealing with ridges/canyons, you will encounter some issues, but you can always use better/bigger antennas with these radios that give better range.

They are more expensive, but while using them this past season for keeping in contact with friends, I never once cursed them like i do the 'talk abouts'. I used the talk abouts one time when meeting up with a buddy and trying to get hold of him. I'm regretting now I didn't throw that radio as far as I could off the mountain I was on because all it did was frustrate me as it cut in and out while receiving. My buddy was only .5 miles away and I could see him, so I know it wasn't a range/terrain limitation.

Another thing to think about... At least for the motorola style talk about radio, the same chip that was brought into production for it in 1999 is still in use in those radios. It might be programmed differently and other chips added to the chipset, but the same chip is still manufactured and used in those radios...

Ron

Ive been doing alittle research on the Motorola's. Hey Ron...what kind of range do you get w the BPR40 ?

Last edited:
I think you can get better results out of a two way but dont know anyone that works on these units. I drive big truck and have an AM radio in my truck that will transmit and recieve 20 miles no prob. But that said, mine has been tweeked and peaked and the radio is very tempermental about SWR. I know a HAM guy and will quiz him and see if anything can be done on these units. Just cant believe you cant have better coms with a small handheld. With the resources available we should be able to put something together that works. ??? Hmmmm another project. I need to retire so I can work on all this stuff. HAHAHA!

Ive been doing alittle research on the Motorola's. Hey Ron...what kind of range do you get w the BPR40 ?

With the BPR40's we were easily getting 2-3 miles with limited terrain in between. I've used other VHF radios and have had good reception at 3 miles + in flat country. Crystal clear reception too.

Ron

I used to work in a radio shop (20+ years Moto shop). The mileage claims of all brands are laughable. It is marketing. Only way you will get that range is mtn top to mtn top. Even on flat ground, the curvature of the earth will begin limiting you. Keep in mind, I dealt with public safety radios and the clientel requires greater than 95% + coverage. In system design as a rule of thumb, I expect portable to TOWER coverage to become less than reliable after 10 miles, on the street. (Building coverage is less, depending upon the building construction and band of operation, much less.)

Doesnt garmin offer a Radio / GPS unit that shows the location of the other units???? No idea how well they work but the other units location would be nice feature

Garmin Rhino...you get gps and radio so you can see where your buddy is on the next ridge on your screen.

I agree with Baerman. Without it he wouldnt have been able to pack out my deer for me.

I never heard from you again I was hoping you got one.

Baerman has not packed out a deer for me since 2009. 2012 was not so good to me. Was not due to lack of opportunity, but lack of hunter skill. We should meet up soon to discuss the good fortune of your 2012 season.

Back