2 Hours Ago

T Bone

I went for a quick evening hunt near home. It was going to be quick, so I didn't even bother getting camoes on. The 2" of snow that fell last night was still soft and quiet. Very windy. I still hunted on the edge of clearing where I'd seen deer before. I was about 15 minutes into step, wait, step, wait. As if on queau (sp?), a herd of deer crossed out of the timber directly in front of me and started feeding only 20-30 yards out. It's GO TIME!

2 bucks both 4 points. The larger one was toward the rear of the herd and offered no shot. The other was off to the side and was feeding quartering away. I nocked an arrow sloooooooooowwwlly. The nearest doe picked up the movement and was drilling me. I drew slowly, anchored, picked a spot dead center middle of body and touched the arrow off. Deer expoded everywhere, racing in every direction....I rethought the shot. Felt good, looked good, sounded good. I sat and listened but could hear nothing but the howling wind.

I went up to the sight of shot and found the arrow.
100_4839.JPG

Looked to be a good hit! I quickly drove back home and got my 9 year old to get in on the follow up.

We arrived back at the sight and were immediately frustrated with the lack of blood and the abundance of tracks. Finally about 100 yards of the shot we found blood. Then more and more. Lots of good spray. Then I spotted him, but let my bloodhound of a son follow the trail until he almost stumbled on the buck.

Dink of a buck, small basket 4 point. But for my 1st ever whitetail, I think its a fine place to start! Sorry for lack of field photos. The 9 year old son is raring to go! Feels good to blood an arrow again. Archery setup is nothing fancy, consist of a Darton bow, Easton Epic carbons, Thunderhead 100's.
100_4844.JPG

Way to go Tyson. Great first archery SD whitey. Glad your son was there to share it with you. It sounds as if you didn't get the last one in the Hills. ;) :D

Found your cat yet? :D

Way to go T-Bone and kudos for getting your son in on it!
Looks like SD is gonna (for now) pan out for ya ;)

Besides the kitty, what's next on the ticket??

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ak2021
Back