Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

1st timer

Missourian

Hi all. New here and wanted to ask for any info for my first elk hunt in Colorado in unit 4. Done a lot of homework on the area and there can never be enough info especially living out of a state in which u r going to see any/a elk! Any info would be much appreciated on a good way to approach a late season hunt. Thanks

Welcome! Depending on how late the season most elk may have moved out of the unit to lower ground.

Plan on 3rd rifle and herd that they r migrating in mid to late December. Been planning for a yr and half now and wanted any more info possible. Lol it’s obsessive now.

If there is less than a couple feet of snow on the ground, they will be up high in 4 in the NF area. Once it snows enough, a lot of them move down into unit 3 which could be oct-dec depending on snow. Have you considered 1st rifle at all? The weather and roads will be much more manageable (as well as a higher success rate), you will definitely want to bring chains if you are driving high on the forest roads during 3rd season. Looks like for 2020 they introduced an either sex 1st rifle tag that is good for unit 3,4,5,301,441

If there is less than a couple feet of snow on the ground, they will be up high in 4 in the NF area. Once it snows enough, a lot of them move down into unit 3 which could be oct-dec depending on snow. Have you considered 1st rifle at all? The weather and roads will be much more manageable (as well as a higher success rate), you will definitely want to bring chains if you are driving high on the forest roads during 3rd season. Looks like for 2020 they introduced an either sex 1st rifle tag that is good for unit 3,4,5,301,441
Yeah I’ve been contemplating 1st but that may be another yr just cause 3rd is longer. I wish they would do an either sex for 3rd as well. I thank you for all the info. I’m just soaking it all up

Back