Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

1st time Arrow selection help.

BrokenChicken

ok, so i decided to give Archery a try in 2021.
i will say that i am 100% NEW to archery, a complete beginner, so what i know so far is thanks to friends who do hunt archery currently.
i have a new bow on the way, all set up with premium accessories, so that part is taken care of. it will be BOWTECH Carbon Zion 70lbs.

so while i'm waiting for my set up to arrive. **and i will go to a local shop to have it properly set up for me, dialed in, etc..
i thought i'd get started on figuring out what ARROWs i'll need. i'm not looking to cheap out, open to all suggestions. so with that in mind, few question:

for 2021 my goal is to do: *(i'm a CO resident)
CO OTC Elk and CO OTC Antelope, i think i'll wait for Deer archery till following season or maybe jump over to a neighboring state for later season dates so not to double up on tags my first season.
my understanding is that for Elk/Deer i should be using same set up. but for Pronghorn, should i have a separate quiver?

looking for Brand/Weight/Size/Broadheads, basically whole package recommendations for set ups that will be ideal for ELK and one for Antelope if i should have 2 different ones?
looking forward to your suggestions.
thanks

Be sure to get an arrow with proper spine for your draw length and weight. All manufacturers have charts that tell the spine you will need. A size over spine is generally ok, but don't under spine. Also point weight can change things a bit. I don't want to over complicate things but I would go to a quality archery shop and have them help. Lastly if you can buy a few arrows from several makes and models you will probably find one or two that shoot better through your bow and some you just don't like.

I have older model of that bow. I run black eagle deep impact. I’d actually prefer to go with a lighter shaft and 125 gr point weight. My current weight is right around 500 grains.

Starting out I’d buy some cheaper arrows that you can lose and break and not cry when it is a $20 bill every time.

Gold Tip arrows are hard to beat. With that draw weight, I like 430-500 grain arrows. I like to go as heavy as I can and not drop below that 270fps mark.

Since you’re new to archery, don’t assume that the guy/gal behind the counter is an expert. Alot of folks complain about archery shops wanting to put them in an under spine or borderline spine arrow. Total tip weight(broadhead/field point and insert) all factor in.

Good luck.

The arrows you need will be determined by your draw length and weight, most manufacturers have charts for determining what kind of arrow spine you'll need. No need to have different set ups for pronghorn vs. elk/deer. Ideally you want to get an arrow that will weigh in between ~430-500 grains total and that will be good enough to hunt just about anything in north America while still maintaining good arrow speed. If you are in the Denver area I recommend bear creek archery or any legit archery shop and they will be able to help make sure you get the right setup. Broadheads and their weight will come down to personal preference or trial and error to see what shots the best

Look at Black Eagle. I have shot about every brand there is. Black Eagle are top notch and will answer any questions you have.

Dont follow manufacture spine charts. They will have you underspined. If you are at 70lbs and 28.5 dl or above you will want a minimum 300 spine or 250spine if wanting to shoot heavier point weight.

not quite there yet, as soon as my bow and all accessories arrive, i plan on taking it to a local shop to have it all professionally set up and adjusted for me.
so i'll also ask for recommendations there.

*but i think i'll be 29.5"dl

29.5/70lb, you would be good with with either 300spine or 250. If you are wanting to add insert weight or a heavier point 250 spine would be a good choice. If you just want standard insert and 100 or 125g head 300spine would work too... i would reccomend getting 1 of both and a point kit and see which your bow prefers.

I used to shoot GT Hunter XTs but just got some Easton 6.5s and I don't think I'll be buying GT again.

Broadheads are like bullets, buy the best you can afford. For the love of God, don't get mechanicals. You can make a case for them on whitetails but they have no business hitting an elk. Anihilator, slick trick, and qad are worth considering, as well as the other 2000 brands. If you can, try 100 and 125. I like 100 but you might like 125.

I would just get stock inserts, nocks, and three blazer vanes. Don't worry about jackin with that stuff until you are a meteocre to good shooter. Same with arrow tolerances. You won't out shoot a .006 arrow for a while, but if a better one makes you feel better, go for it. I like .003 for my mentality.

Every arrow manufacturer makes good arrows it’s really a matter of preference. The first and most important thing is to get your bow properly setup to your correct draw length and a weight that you can drawback comfortably. Next get your arrow rest installed, the you can get your rough arrow length, I say rough because depending on your rest and broadhead choice you may have add 1/2”. From there you can use the spine charts from arrow manufacturers to get your spine. Remember it’s better to be a little over spine than under. Also there’s a fad right now about FOC which is somewhat over stated but be aware because some shops push it hard and depending on your arrow length if you choose to go heavy point weight and draw weight it can severely limit your arrow choices, especially if you do end up pulling the full 70# with 29.5” draw length. Best of luck

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back