1st Solo DIY hunt to NM

huntin' lunatic

Wanting to hunt pronghorn, be it in Texas or New Mexico. I have researched NM and realize that it is a 3 day season, there is a $65 NON REFUNDABLE license that needs to be purchased, along with the $283 fee to get in the draw. Are there any other charges? I also read where this year they will not appoint you a ranch to hunt. I called and the person I spoke to said that you are free to hunt anything BLM or public. I live on the Gulf coast of Texas and am looking at some of the units on the border of NM/Texas border. Would like to hear from any experienced DIY guys as far as how you go about it. Do you camp, stay in your truck, hotel etc etc? It would be greatly appreciated.

To answer the first question yes there are additional charges. Besides the $65 non refundable license (this is the first year its been that way) and the $283 tag there will be a app fee ($13 if I remember correctly) and a habitat stamp ($5-$10 can't remember. The main problem with your plan is drawing the tag. New Mexico allocates very few tags to the self-guided non resident your odds of drawing a rifle tag will be less then 5% probably way less. If you are willing to hunt with archery equipment those odds can be way higher. I've been applying for 5 years with no tag and might not draw one even if I apply for another 25 years then again you might draw your first year. That's the ups and downs of a true random draw. The question you need to ask yourself is are you willing to pay around $75 a year to play the New Mexico antelope lottery with a less then 5% (unless archery) chance of drawing. Antelope is a tough game in New Mexico personally it would be hard for me to swallow the $65 non refundable license if I was only applying for antelope but I apply for elk,deer,and sheep also at that point why not throw in the antelope app for nothing more then a app fee.

To answer the first question yes there are additional charges. Besides the $65 non refundable license (this is the first year its been that way) and the $283 tag there will be a app fee ($13 if I remember correctly) and a habitat stamp ($5-$10 can't remember. The main problem with your plan is drawing the tag. New Mexico allocates very few tags to the self-guided non resident your odds of drawing a rifle tag will be less then 5% probably way less. If you are willing to hunt with archery equipment those odds can be way higher. I've been applying for 5 years with no tag and might not draw one even if I apply for another 25 years then again you might draw your first year. That's the ups and downs of a true random draw. The question you need to ask yourself is are you willing to pay around $75 a year to play the New Mexico antelope lottery with a less then 5% (unless archery) chance of drawing. Antelope is a tough game in New Mexico personally it would be hard for me to swallow the $65 non refundable license if I was only applying for antelope but I apply for elk,deer,and sheep also at that point why not throw in the antelope app for nothing more then a app fee.
X2 on this. Archery or Muzzy antelope tags have better odds in NM. I have been draw once in 15 years and I'm happy. Posted a pic of the buck I harvested in a previous thread.

I would not expend much energy at all on logistics until after the results. The chance a NR draws a rifle, or any weapon for that matter, pronghorn tag in New Mexico is minuscule.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back