Caribou Gear Tarp

1st NM duck hunt of 2016

jrabq

I was sick around the 1st of the year and over the weekend, but finally managed to get out yesterday. Very cold AM on the mighty Rio, with nothing flying. Packed up about 8:00 and drove down to the big lake, paddled around for a few hours in my duckboat and got the limit, great start to the new year. In my version of heaven it's all mallard and pintail drakes, so it was cool hunt. My dog was not happy because she had the stay in the truck at spot #2, the duckboat is just too small. Next time I might take the bigger boat and set up a blind.

Attachments

• P1010827 red.jpg
    P1010827 red.jpg
    292.9 KB · Views: 229
Great batch of ducks, it doesn't get any better than that! Unless you had a banded pintail!

I didn't think there would be many ducks in NM. Way to go!

Nice birds!
Rio Grande flyway/corridor.
I'm tempted to take up birds in NM again at times.
There's 3 refuges within an hr and a half of me.
There's just so much more, better meat on an elk................

I didn't think there would be many ducks in NM. Way to go!

Duck hunting can be surprising good in the arid western states (NM, AZ, NV, UT). Total numbers might not be huge, but were there is water there are usually birds. If you look at the stats DU sometimes publishes; #ducks per season per hunter, many western states show up in the top 10 every year. I grew up in La., spent some time in TX, very happy to be in NM in regards to hunting opportunities, ducks and everything else:):)

[But there's always some downside, don't ask me how far I had to drive!]

Last edited:
Back