1st elk hunt/I need a psychiatrist

I guess I’ve gotten accustomed to hunting small TX whitetail, 223 will blow through both shoulders on them as well as the hogs we have, though I’ve gotten away from shoulder shots here. I figured a 7 mag would do the job, next time I know.

I’m not beating myself up as bad now though I’m still thinking about it several times a day.

Going to try and shoot that rifle this week and see what’s what. Our rifle season opens this weekend and I’ve done zero scouting or much prep. Haven’t even been to my place since late spring. I’m sure I’ll fill the freezer though.

You mentioned planning the hunt for 5 years. You shoot an elk and scramble to leave the hunt after how many hours after the shot?

You also noted you easily could have walked right by the dead bull, which of course is true.

Every hunt situation is unique including how much time makes sense to search for a wounded animal. A lot to be considered and learned for future hunts. Including perhaps time to be put in to attempted recovery.

Last edited:
You mentioned planning the hunt for 5 years. You shoot an elk and scramble to leave the hunt after how many hours after the shot?

You also noted you easily could have walked right by the dead bull, which of course is true.

Every hunt situation is unique including how much time makes sense to search for a wounded animal. A lot to be considered and learned for future hunts. Including perhaps time to be put in to attempted recovery.
Thanks for your insight, khunt.

I’ve found to take 24-hours around 4000’, again at every 1000’ after if your going to be staying at elevation for extended periods of time.

Going over some of those 11,000’ passes have been hell on my just going up and over until I get under 8500’ again.
Drove from El Paso TX to walsenburg co on Monday and then up to Hudson co Tuesday.

Holy crap. Over 6200’ had me hacking so bad and over 7000’ was horrible. Get under 6000’ and it was normal.

Drove from El Paso TX to walsenburg co on Monday and then up to Hudson co Tuesday.

Holy crap. Over 6200’ had me hacking so bad and over 7000’ was horrible. Get under 6000’ and it was normal.
That’s a lot of miles!

Well this morning has been a rodeo. I’m sitting in my truck contemplating what to do next. Spotted two bulls this morning and cow called them into a timber opening 323 yards away. One bull stood broadside a good few minutes long enough for me to range him, dial my scope, settle my nerves and fire a shot dropping him where he stood.

So he’s sitting there on his knees about to wobble over and then he stands up facing away from me for a bit then turns broadside again facing the way he came from. I shot again and he ran behind some trees. A few seconds later here comes a bull back out again walking like nothing happened. I wasn’t sure if it was the second bull or not and I didn’t want to shoot two by mistake so I didn’t shoot as I looked for signs of injury as he walked into the timber. Damn. I grab my binoculars and start glassing the hillside I see no other bull walking around. He must be dead behind that patch of trees.

I wait a while and start side hilling a loop around to get a vantage point to see into. I keep expecting to glass up a dead bull but the timber was too thick. By the time I made it around to where he was standing it had been about an hour. I found where he fell and got back up. No blood. I start following the tracks where I saw the one bull walk away, no blood but I keep following what fresh looking tracks I could find while glassing ahead of me, down hill and up hill from me.

I make it about a quarter mile or so and I smell elk. I looked up the ridge and about 100yds there stood a bull staring down at me, his vitals hid behind a tree. I shift to the left and right trying to get a shot but he disappears like a ghost. I slowly walk up hill and find his bed, no blood. Follow the tracks some more and find fresh droppings.

At this point I figured that must have been the other bull. I head back to where the bull was standing and start circling and glassing up and down the hill. I just can’t find anything substantial other than that area he dropped in and tore up the dirt getting back up.

I don’t know what to do at this point. Don’t want to just wonder the timber and push elk further in. There are fresh tracks, droppings and rubs everywhere up and down the mountain.
I decided my best option was to back out and come back this evening to see if a sick looking elk comes out to feed.

I had set my shooting limit to 350-360yds but maybe I should have waited though I knew they weren’t coming into the meadow and getting closer.

Really bummed. If I don’t see him again this evening or in the morning, I’m packing up and heading home.
Great thread about your hunt, sorry to hear about your bad luck. Happens to everyone.. Coyote has to eat too! I hit a bull high shoulder once, dumped just like how you described, he got back up and ran a long ways but luckily ran towards me and bedded in some sage brush in sight for an easy follow up, had he ran any other way though it would’ve been low odds of recovery. Elk are tough animals, they will surprise a guy even with a well placed shot. Hope you get another chance at elk redemption in the near future!

Great thread about your hunt, sorry to hear about your bad luck. Happens to everyone.. Coyote has to eat too! I hit a bull high shoulder once, dumped just like how you described, he got back up and ran a long ways but luckily ran towards me and bedded in some sage brush in sight for an easy follow up, had he ran any other way though it would’ve been low odds of recovery. Elk are tough animals, they will surprise a guy even with a well placed shot. Hope you get another chance at elk redemption in the near future!
I’m not giving up. I’ll be back out for sure. I believe that bull is still out living life.

So my job asks us at the beginning of every year to submit major vacation time request before February, then they sort by seniority and time accrued. I have a decent amount of both so on a whim I filled out a bunch of dates. I now have off both 2nd and 3rd rifle season in addition to the whitetail rut after thanksgiving here at home.

Not sure how, but I’m gonna try to get back out for 2nd rifle as I figure the elk should still be in the same general areas the first day or two of season.

We are looking at selling our house and moving this summer. Realtor is coming to look at our house this week, so not sure if I can financially swing it but at least I have those days off if I can.

I casually mentioned it to my wife last night…..she didn’t say no.

Update with the cardiologist and cardiology pharmacist a couple weeks ago.

EKG looks normal and they reviewed all my EKG going back 3 years. I have an “slight, but non-issue irregular heartbeat” that showed up around the time I got my Covid vaccination’s. :mad:

I have been prescribed Singulair as the suspicion is it’s now exercise induced asthma or else an allergy. But cardiac related has been ruled out.

Lung function tests are all normal.

I also have a future appointment to still be scheduled with an allergist.

Going to altitude still sucks. So acclimation protocol will be needed if I attempt to do anything over 5000’ in the mountains.

Update with the cardiologist and cardiology pharmacist a couple weeks ago.

EKG looks normal and they reviewed all my EKG going back 3 years. I have an “slight, but non-issue irregular heartbeat” that showed up around the time I got my Covid vaccination’s. :mad:

I have been prescribed Singulair as the suspicion is it’s now exercise induced asthma or else an allergy. But cardiac related has been ruled out.

Lung function tests are all normal.

I also have a future appointment to still be scheduled with an allergist.

Going to altitude still sucks. So acclimation protocol will be needed if I attempt to do anything over 5000’ in the mountains.
Dang!

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back