1980's Winchester 70 question

Birddog916

Let me preface this post with the fact I've never been a great rifle shooter and I'm looking for y'all for some insights. I have had a 1980's era Winchester model 70 in 30.06 for many years and it has served me well. I have taken many deer and a few elk with it. It was my first big game rifle I ever purchased, I found it at a flea market in the early 90's. I picked it up for $250 bucks and replaced the glass with a nikon back in the 90's. I only shoot it a few times a year usually about 10 rounds at paper to make sure my scope is good to go and then if I'm lucky one or twice at game. I have noticed over the years the first shot down the barrel is always high, the subsequent shots all pattern generally where I aim sometimes depending on how much coffee I've had pretty well in fact. I typically zero the gun in about 2 inches high at 100 yards like everyone else. I also clean the gun after every trip to the range or after a hunt. Why do I get a first round flyer? I should mention the first round is not a lot higher, but enough to be concerning. Usually about 6 inches high at 100. Is there something I can do to avoid this?

Last edited:
I can’t remember who it was but one of the well known gun writers once wrote that a rifle shoots most accurately after about 80 rounds have been through the bore after cleaning.

Like others have stated no need to clean the barrel after each range trip. Don’t clean the barrel until your accuracy starts to fall off. If your hunting in wet weather/snow you can run a few dry patches after the day if you want. A very lightly oiled patch after season is over and the rifle is being stored is ok also. Just be sure to patch it out before shooting it after that.

Also your rifle will probably benefit from bedding the lug and tang.

I put a few rounds down the barrel to confirm zero before a hunt. Then no cleaning internally till end of the season or before I plan on storing the rifle for a while.
First round from a clean and oiled barrel is high from most of my rifles.

I have one rifle, my 30-06 in fact, that on a clean bore will put the first shot at the 11 o'clock, 3 inches high every time, after that it settles down to where it should be. I have another one that'll put the first round 2 1/2 inches high at 100. As a few others have stated, no need to clean after 10 rounds. Once a year, at the end of the season, I do a complete tear down and cleaning.

If you clean, just clean to remove the carbon fouling, don’t remove the copper until end of season.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back