Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

19/20 Seems Good Unless You're Paying for Ammo!

texwest44

Now, I may be a simple country HuntTalk member, and maybe what some folks might call an "idiot", and even what some folks may say is an "absolute waste of oxygen and available housing", but historically I've never really seen a reason to egg-check your ammo when you're at the store. Almost seems a little uncouth at times.

And then today I got a box of Winchester XP that was short one. Not the most expensive ammo in the world, but when you're on a fixed 900/mo income, every round counts (though every round may not be counted!). I paid for that round and I want it damnit, lol.

Non-checkers out there beware!

Attachments

• 20210829_143954.jpg
    20210829_143954.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 30
I once got one box containing a round with a bullet loaded upside down. Had some other boxes containing split necks. Never had a missing round, so I wonder if it was a mistake or someone simply pocketing one.

I would “egg check” for sure at these prices!

Egg check box's of ammo, good word. I don't buy factory ammo and haven't in a whole lot of years so never even though of that. Well I just lied. First box of 28ga ammo I looked at, field loads, was $17 a box. So the first actual box I bought was a flat of target loads at $9 a box and a Mec 600! Those target loads worked very well shooting training birds over my dogs! When I got my 20ga SxS I got two box's of ammo with it and never though to look through them. Now ya got me thinking!

I bought a couple two or three boxes of Remington Sportsmans Steel back when I was on a major broke kid budget. 1 in 5 rounds on average was a dud just like Cushman mentioned above. They definitely weren't ever wet either. Won't buy that crap again, or anything Remington that's not older for that matter.

If you're serious, I do have 25 cases from some Sig Sauger Elite hunters. These.

It's going to become very apparent by the end of this sentence, but I don't really know anything about reloading or whether these are "good" or not. They look fine to me, at least. If it's not hunting season, I don't do much shooting so my input here is limited. Hopefully pictures help.

Attachments

• 20210829_194310.jpg
    20210829_194310.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 12
  • 20210829_194353.jpg
    20210829_194353.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 12
My friend recently bought a Howa heavy barrel in 308 Win.
We took it out Saturday to break in the barrel.
He had 2 boxes of 150gr PMC FMJ.
1 & clean, 1& clean, 1& clean, 3 & clean, 3& clean, 3& clean, 5& clean. Had 2 rounds left in that box. :unsure:

So, when all ammunition sales are final and non-returnable, then how do we hold companies accountable for these mistakes? Is it even worth trying to call the manufacturer up to get a refund?

So, when all ammunition sales are final and non-returnable, then how do we hold companies accountable for these mistakes? Is it even worth trying to call the manufacturer up to get a refund?
This is the million dollar question these days. Missing round aside, I've also seen and heard numerous complaints lately of the massive dip in ammo quality over the last year or so. If the general reliability of ammo is changing, should the rules around refunds and returns change with it? Where does that begin, and what does it look like?

I did get Cabela's to take back a box of ammo once. I ordered two boxes of the same shot size and they sent the wrong shot size for one of them. I ordered it online so the seal hadn't been broken on the box. I didn't even take the sticky bubble wrap off when I took it back.

This is the million dollar question these days. Missing round aside, I've also seen and heard numerous complaints lately of the massive dip in ammo quality over the last year or so. If the general reliability of ammo is changing, should the rules around refunds and returns change with it? Where does that begin, and what does it look like?
Absolutely, I have even seen it myself where the COAL has been off by a 1/2" on a box of Browning purchased by my brother-in-law (I reload). At what point does this become dangerous to the user? Crushed and dented rounds, missing rounds, improper seating depth, no powder... I'm not saying these issues haven't been around before (they have) but I have been seeing and heating about it more often with the record demand compared with a worker shortage. Sooner or later someone is going to lose an eye.

I have to believe the pressure to push out ammunition plays at least a small role in the apparent decrease in quality control. I am not saying that as an excuse but if a product line used to push out say 1000 boxes of ammo a day (no clue at the real number) and now to meet demand those same lines are pushing out 1500 a day there is much more chance for defective ammo to get missed in the QC process. Add to that if a manufacturer sets quotas then in order to meet them line workers will get slack. Some of the best manufacturers do set quotas but not for quantity but quality. Those lines may produce less but if a line produces 1500 boxes a day with a defective rate of 10% will be less profitable than a line that produces 1400 boxes a day with a defect rate of only 1%. Hopefully ammo producers will push to improve quality control as they increase capacity.

To add to this, I'm not unconvinced that they aren't going through amassed irregulars and skimming the top percentiles and clearing them for sale. I base this on nothing but rank suspicion.

Gents, this may be a really random question but here goes: I've got a lot of .308 Win and .270 Win brass. Along with some 300 Win Mag, 30-30, and .243 Win brass. I always keep the brass and tell myself that I'm going to start reloading but I'm BSing myself. I have 3 little kids and no time. So, with that said, does anyone want to buy some of this brass? Some of it is high quality, Sig Sauer & Federal Premium brass. Some is just standard brass from rounds like Remington Core Lokt and Winchester Super X. I'm not seeking some premium price, just a reasonable amount.Brass.jpg

And maybe a price reduction for inferior ammo????????

I'm betting QA's SOP is to weigh the boxes off the production line and their liability ends there.

A lot depends on how many hands that box of ammo went through before you got it. I'd go back to your source and see how far back up the line they kick it. I could see some individual pulling single rounds out of individual boxes on the shelf at a big box store across a dozen stores to stock their ammo supply.

Now, I may be a simple country HuntTalk member, and maybe what some folks might call an "idiot", and even what some folks may say is an "absolute waste of oxygen and available housing", but historically I've never really seen a reason to egg-check your ammo when you're at the store. Almost seems a little uncouth at times.

And then today I got a box of Winchester XP that was short one. Not the most expensive ammo in the world, but when you're on a fixed 900/mo income, every round counts (though every round may not be counted!). I paid for that round and I want it damnit, lol.

Non-checkers out there beware!
call them. I had a problem with ammo for them. 2 rounds wouldn't fire. They sent me a whole new box. Worth an email of phone call.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back