Yeti GOBOX Collection

180 Grain Sierra Gameking 30 cal

Kennedy

Is this bullet a good bullet to use on elk? 30 cal 180 grain Sierra game king bullet. I've loaded some Sierra but never had hunted with sierras. So you experienced guys who uses game kings on elk let me know what you think. Its a 3006. Its gonna be my deer and elk gun. I've heard some good things about the game kings with a dose of reloaded 22. Tell me your thoughts please. Thanks.

I think there's several better options nosler accubond, partition, or Barnes ttsx(if you wanna go lead free) just to name a few. Nothing beats a nosler partition in my opinion.

Just my 2 cents: It's all my wife and I have hunted with for many years, loaded to 2,700 fps with H4831SC in .30-06. Our rifles just seem to prefer heavier bullets, we were able to fairly easily work up sub-MOA loads, and they never failed us on deer, elk and even antelope. Pretty much all bullets have to do a balancing act between expansion and penetration. The cup-and-core softpoint design may be older technology but for us it falls into the "If it ain't broke don't fix it" category. At normal hunting ranges, say out to 300 yards, if you do your part...shot placement...the GameKing will do its part. Over the years I tried out quite a few of the latest and greatest bullet designs as they came along and were touted in the glossy gun and hunting magazines. Personally, I just never observed any magical leaps in accuracy or terminal performance that would convince me they were worth 2-3 times the price and sooner or later I wound up going back to my starting point with Sierras. The last couple of years I've really gotten into longer range shooting and for that it's looking like the Hornady ELD-X will finally steal me away from the GameKing, but otherwise I've been pleased with it since I started hunting MT in the early 90s.

If your rifle and you both shoot good with that round send it. 180 Gr will do just fine as with any round all about shot placement, unless you hunting with AP rounds (wouldn't recommend that) then you can place a shot where ever you want. If your comfortable with the round, know how it will shoot in varying weather conditions your set. Trying to change rounds can be a DEEP rabbit hole and even sometimes be like learning to shoot all over again in my option.

Sierra makes a fine bullet and they work just fine. They don't get the recognition they should, but they have been around doing a great job for many years. You can give Sierra a call and the Ballistics Technicians will guide you the right way...

It’s a quality bullet. I shoot the 200grain GameKing in a 300 Winchester Magnum with sub .5” MOA. All rifles seem to like or prefer a certain bullet or weight. When you find it stick with it. If you are getting the results you want from the 180s it’s a keeper.

I killed 7 of my first 10 elk, including my all time best 6x6 bull, with 180 grain Sierra GameKing bullets from my .30-06. Put in the right place, and they'll do the job.

I shot 175 gr game kings between 1983 and 1997 in my 7mm mag. They were very accurate but in the latter years I found they separated lead from copper more often than before. I went back to hornaday interlocs for more consistant expansion without separation. They quit making the 7 mag bullet but they still make them for the 06.

I've only shot two Elk, I used that exact Sierra on the first at 225 yards because that was all I had available to me, bullet placement was top of the heart, dropped after 50 yards, no exit, 2nd was a 180 Nosler Partition which went straight though both lungs, one dead Elk, shot placement is most important
Cheers
Richard

Just my 2 cents: It's all my wife and I have hunted with for many years, loaded to 2,700 fps with H4831SC in .30-06. Our rifles just seem to prefer heavier bullets, we were able to fairly easily work up sub-MOA loads, and they never failed us on deer, elk and even antelope. Pretty much all bullets have to do a balancing act between expansion and penetration. The cup-and-core softpoint design may be older technology but for us it falls into the "If it ain't broke don't fix it" category. At normal hunting ranges, say out to 300 yards, if you do your part...shot placement...the GameKing will do its part. Over the years I tried out quite a few of the latest and greatest bullet designs as they came along and were touted in the glossy gun and hunting magazines. Personally, I just never observed any magical leaps in accuracy or terminal performance that would convince me they were worth 2-3 times the price and sooner or later I wound up going back to my starting point with Sierras. The last couple of years I've really gotten into longer range shooting and for that it's looking like the Hornady ELD-X will finally steal me away from the GameKing, but otherwise I've been pleased with it since I started hunting MT in the early 90s.
+1
prod.jpg

prod.jpg

The 180 Pro Hunters shoot really well out of my 30-06 over H4350.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wyohandscold
Back