Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

165gr Partitions with IMR-4451 in 30-06

morgaj1

Does anyone have data for 4451 in 30-06 with 165gr Partitions? Maybe Quickload?

I have very little experience with IMR 4451 however a conversation with a friend may help you out to get started . He finds it meters much like H 4350 and velocity is close. So far he likes the accuracy that he is getting and velocity as well. In the 22 inch barrel with his load of 57 grains of 4451 pushing a Nosler 165 gr partition is getting slightly over 2800 FPS with no pressure signs and good consistent accuracy. it in his WW cases is close to 100% capacity . I would Start at 55 grains and work from there . Hope this helps , I’m going to try to locate some 4451 to try myself !

I have very little experience with IMR 4451 however a conversation with a friend may help you out to get started . He finds it meters much like H 4350 and velocity is close. So far he likes the accuracy that he is getting and velocity as well. In the 22 inch barrel with his load of 57 grains of 4451 pushing a Nosler 165 gr partition is getting slightly over 2800 FPS with no pressure signs and good consistent accuracy. it in his WW cases is close to 100% capacity . I would Start at 55 grains and work from there . Hope this helps , I’m going to try to locate some 4451 to try myself !
Great info, thank you.

Stop worrying about a specific bullet and just look at the weight!!! Yes there are differences bullet to bullet, but generally they are smaller than the differences from one lot of powder to another. Monolithic bullets can vary a little more, but depending on the driving bands machined into them and the alloy, some are closer to lead core bullets than others, and none are miles apart. You should be starting low and working up no matter what billet you choose.

Hodgdon has load data on their website for that powder and bullet weight in a 30-06.

Stop worrying about a specific bullet and just look at the weight!!! Yes there are differences bullet to bullet, but generally they are smaller than the differences from one lot of powder to another. Monolithic bullets can vary a little more, but depending on the driving bands machined into them and the alloy, some are closer to lead core bullets than others, and none are miles apart. You should be starting low and working up no matter what billet you choose.

Hodgdon has load data on their website for that powder and bullet weight in a 30-06.
I tend to agree with you for most bullets. However, my experience with Partitions is that they develop pressure earlier than Hornady/Speer SP's. Given that I have a limited supply of components, I was looking for more specific info to narrow in on a range.

I tend to agree with you for most bullets. However, my experience with Partitions is that they develop pressure earlier than Hornady/Speer SP's. Given that I have a limited supply of components, I was looking for more specific info to narrow in on a range.
And they give so much more pressure that if you start at the starting load you’re gonna blow a primer pocket or worse?

You should be starting 10% below max, and working up for a number of reasons, and you should do that again when you buy a new can of powder from a different lot, especially if the powder is from one of the many labels Hodgdon owns.

Nosler doesn’t seem to think that it’s a big deal as their load data includes every 165gr and 168gr bullet they make. Their data with IMR-4350 has a starting load 1gr less than the hodgdon starting load with IMR-4350 and 165gr bullet.

Don’t worry about it. Use The Hodgdon starting load of 4451 and work your way up. If you blow your gun up you’re doing something else wrong.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crookhunt
Back