Caribou Gear

16 gauge- Over/Unders

Jmnhunter

Wanting to add a shotgun to the collection, I do not have a 16 gauge and I'm interested to adding one. Looking at various over/unders. It seems like the Franchi Instinct SL is the gold standard and about the top of my budget.
I was interested in the Stevens 555E as well if someone has put that through the ringer has things to say, I'd like to know about it.
CZ has one or two options but heavy
Tri-Star seems to have issues

I read on a different forum that someone claimed Franchi's guns are made in turkey now and assembled in Italy, but I can't find anything to back this up.
I'm tempted to wait for a franchi to come on sale (Retail at $1600 around here currently)-- any thoughts?

Wanting to add a shotgun to the collection, I do not have a 16 gauge and I'm interested to adding one. Looking at various over/unders. It seems like the Franchi Instinct SL is the gold standard and about the top of my budget.
I was interested in the Stevens 555E as well if someone has put that through the ringer has things to say, I'd like to know about it.
CZ has one or two options but heavy
Tri-Star seems to have issues

I read on a different forum that someone claimed Franchi's guns are made in turkey now and assembled in Italy, but I can't find anything to back this up.
I'm tempted to wait for a franchi to come on sale (Retail at $1600 around here currently)-- any thoughts?
I would PM @BrentD about finding a classic used 16 - an investment and a joy to carry/shoot. They can be had for under $2,000 if you poke around.

I would PM @BrentD about finding a classic used 16 - an investment and a joy to carry/shoot. They can be had for under $2,000 if you poke around.

Brent wouldn't stoop to getting a good O/U 16, but I'm here to help spend @Jmnhunter's money.

The Germans, Belgians & Austrians used to make some damned fine O/U's in 16 gauge that will be far lighter than current offerings, and far better built. They are more rare than the SxS's, but they do pop up on Guns International, etc from time to time.

The Franchi is a nice gun, and if you are sold on modern, look at a slightly used Citori in 16 gauge as well. It should be right around that $1500 price point, and also take a look at the CZ offerings. They're good, utilitarian guns that will last long enough for hunting purposes.

If you broaden your search out to SxS, then you're entering into a world of quality doubles at very reasonable prices in the configuration you want.

A good field 16 should weigh in around 6 - 6.5 pounds, have 28" tubes and if choked, look for LM/IM or something similar (IC/M on the open end, M/F on the tight end).

I recently did an o/u search of my own, initially was looking for 16 gauge..which for modern as @Ben Lamb says directed me towards Citori. Can be had barely used for $1500 to $1600 if patient, I've seen some go for less...

Ultimately I wound up going w a 20ga...smaller frame, a bit lighter, perhaps better ammo availability ?

I must say though that ammo availability in 16ga around me seemed fine

Good luck with your search! It's a fun hunt...

I have the SL in 16. Bought it as a gift to myself when I finished my masters. Every time I think about buying another gun, I'm reminded that this thing is the perfect upland gun for me. I bit the bullet and bought a case of Boss #4's and have been very happy with their performance. With the amount of shooting I do, it will last me years.

I just bought a case and a half of Fiochi HV field loads for $14 a box, shipped.

If you’re proactive, it’s easy to find. If you wait till you need it you might be disappointed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back