PEAX Equipment

13 Minute Turkey

shrapnel

This was the coldest turkey hunt on record. The weather was supposed to break on Wednesday and we got snow every day until Sunday with a high of only 32 degrees for the week.

When I went out Thursday morning, it was so cold I didn’t want to get out of the truck. I stopped and called just to see if any turkeys would answer and darned if one didn’t gobble across the draw. JR told me that if I was to get him, I would have to get out of the truck.

I wasn’t too excited, almost hoping not to hear turkeys, but he was right, I had to get out of the truck. I got my call, binoculars and shotgun and made my way through the thorny underbrush to a point I could call and get a shot if the turkey came down.

I called once and here came 3 jakes, quiet, but looking for the lonesome hen. I shot one, retrieved him and headed back to the heater in the truck. Getting through the thorns without ripping my coat or scratching my face, was the most time consuming part of the hunt.

When I got back, JR told me he timed me at 13 minutes from the time I left the truck until I got back with the short beard…

98E9D552-9C63-48A4-B0AA-F7E4AA59D977.jpeg

Well no wonder it was one of them there new fangled contraptions not one of your mature shotguns and BP. They don't use those funny little choke tubes. ;)

Turkeys........ The smartest dumbest bird you'll ever hunt. Ive gone 3 years without killing a bird and ive gone 30 minutes into the opening day with a filled tag. All the decoys,ground blinds,etc I think ya could throw em all away and nothing has killed more birds than patience/luck

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crookhunt
Back