Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

12aw Early Rifle Help

Silver15tacoma

Hello I was lucky enough to draw 12aw early rifle in Arizona with one point as a NR, unfortunately I am not having much luck turning up bucks. I’ve been glassing mainly around west lake point, burnt coral point, down around sowats area, and a little in the warm springs burn. So far I have only glassed up one group of deer with a little fork horn down on sowats. I’ve seen plenty of does/fawns cross the roads while driving and seen a couple of bucks while spotlighting the warm springs burn, just for some reason I cannot glass any up. My question is am I bad at glassing/looking in the wrong areas or are these bucks mostly nocturnal at this point? Thanks for the tips in advance, much appreciated!

12AW early doesn't have much deer if I can recall correctly since like most kaibab it's a migration place. Need to keep glassing early morning/late evening. People pull some respectfully deer out of there in the early hunt, but more in the late hunt obviously. You pulled with one pt as a NR, count your lucky stars

Also you shouldn't be spotlighting....🙄

12AW early doesn't have much deer if I can recall correctly since like most kaibab it's a migration place. Need to keep glassing early morning/late evening. People pull some respectfully deer out of there in the early hunt, but more in the late hunt obviously. You pulled with one pt as a NR, count your lucky stars

Also you shouldn't be spotlighting....🙄
Thank you for the tips. I am very thankful I drew it

Curious why I shouldn’t be spotlighting? I believe the regulations say with no gun in the vehicle you can?

Thank you for the tips. I am very thankful I drew it

Curious why I shouldn’t be spotlighting? I believe the regulations say with no gun in the vehicle you can?

Good luck! Get off the roads try and cut tracks, you'd be surprised what you might be able to turn up. Last time I hunted the kaibab every yahoo was running deer in the fields with ATVs trying to scare things up for their buddy's to kill. Most outfitters tagged out within a day or two it seems.

Do whatever you want with spotlighting per the regs, not my place

Good luck! Get off the roads try and cut tracks, you'd be surprised what you might be able to turn up. Last time I hunted the kaibab every yahoo was running deer in the fields with ATVs trying to scare things up for their buddy's to kill. Most outfitters tagged out within a day or two it seems.

Do whatever you want with spotlighting per the regs, not my place
Thanks I’ll definitely give that a try

Back