124gr. Hammers,270Win

GlockZ

So I recently bought a trial pack of 124gr Hammers to try in my 270. I don’t have enough powder for a ladder test, so I loaded up 5 rounds using Barnes load data for 129 LRX using Hunter powder. Using 57grs, I chrono’d a 5 shot average of 3180fps out of my Savage with a 22” barrel. At 100yds the group surprised me at 3/4”. Surprised only because I wasn’t actually shooting for accuracy, but for speed and looking for pressure signs. So for now, I loaded up the rest and hopefully after Thanksgiving will be able to try one on a Pennsylvania buck. Hopefully by spring I’ll be able to acquire more powder and do a ladder test. So yeah, I’m pretty impressed with them.

So I recently bought a trial pack of 124gr Hammers to try in my 270. I don’t have enough powder for a ladder test, so I loaded up 5 rounds using Barnes load data for 129 LRX using Hunter powder. Using 57grs, I chrono’d a 5 shot average of 3180fps out of my Savage with a 22” barrel. At 100yds the group surprised me at 3/4”. Surprised only because I wasn’t actually shooting for accuracy, but for speed and looking for pressure signs. So for now, I loaded up the rest and hopefully after Thanksgiving will be able to try one on a Pennsylvania buck. Hopefully by spring I’ll be able to acquire more powder and do a ladder test. So yeah, I’m pretty impressed with them.
Keep us up on how they work out for you. That sounds like a promising load !

I’ve been using the 124 grain hammers this fall in my .270 with 55gr of IMR4350 the groups have been decent enough to hunt with and I haven’t had a lot of time to dial them in further. Last weekend I did take an antelope doe and a bull elk and was very impressed with the bullets. Antelope was broadside at 150 yards and the bullet went right through. Destroyed the lungs and left a good sized exit hole as it hit a rib. The bull was 170 yards head on and it hit just off center of the brisket. He wheeled and didn’t make it 50 yards before piling up. Punched right through and did an excellent job.

6Pt - What twist is your rifle?
I have a Browning Mtn Ti in 270WSM I am hoping to run the 117 hammers in.
Thanks
My rifle is a Kimber Montana with a factory twist rate of 1:10. The 124's are the heaviest bullet that will stabilize in a factory 1:10 barrel from my understanding. A lot of folks really like the 117's from what I hear but I have not tried them myself.

Let us know how it performs on your Buck I've been look at hammers for my 270 win but I'm getting almost half inch groups with 150 gr hot-cors so haven't seen a reason to switch
I normally shoot Barnes TTSX and get anywhere from 5/8” to 3/4” groups at 100, and I’m using the same load at 3050fps, I can still go another 2 1/2 grains before max with the Barnes data, so I’m impressed that I’m getting 100+ fps more for same amount of powder.

I normally shoot Barnes TTSX and get anywhere from 5/8” to 3/4” groups at 100, and I’m using the same load at 3050fps, I can still go another 2 1/2 grains before max with the Barnes data, so I’m impressed that I’m getting 100+ fps more for same amount of powder.
I'm not seeing that kind of velocity, but with a 150 gr bullet i wouldn't expect too either. what powder are you using?

Hunter from Ramshot
Ok, GlockZ.
Where in PA are you located?
I'm in Altoona, work in Bedford.
And i happen to be sitting on a pound of Hunter.

I was gonna try it in my 284 Win, but am having issues with my dies. (They have 284 stamped on them, but are 6.5-284 by measurement)

Get hold of me & hopefully we can work something out!

Ok, GlockZ.
Where in PA are you located?
I'm in Altoona, work in Bedford.
And i happen to be sitting on a pound of Hunter.

I was gonna try it in my 284 Win, but am having issues with my dies. (They have 284 stamped on them, but are 6.5-284 by measurement)

Get hold of me & hopefully we can work something out!
I live in southern NJ, there’s a group of us that hunt state game lands in Pike county every year

Did you ever do anymore work with these?

Not yet, between work and a winter time “honey do” list, just haven’t had the time, but hopefully soon, and I’ll be able to do an update.
Looking forward to it. I have one rifle that won't shoot a Hammer. My 270 M77 tang. But I've only tried the 117. Had Steve send me a box of the 124's. mtmuley

W760 seems to work really well with the 117 and 124HH for my 53 year old Savage 110C .270 but rebarreled with 24" Shaw couple years ago. Slightly faster powders may provide some eye opening extra velocity and work loads up to first sign of pressure and back off 1 grain is the standard procedure for them. I shoot a lot of them and this has worked well for me, the hammertime forum has good data to look at well.

Looking forward to it. I have one rifle that won't shoot a Hammer. My 270 M77 tang. But I've only tried the 117. Had Steve send me a box of the 124's. mtmuley
Let me know how they do muley...have you thought about testing some 139g absolutes?

I'm gonna finish testing the absolutes and shocks in the .257 when I get the stock switched in early spring.

Those Hammer Hunters will arrive rudely Glock...good choice.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back