12 power bino's

renello

I have a few 8 power and 10 power bino's of reasonable quality but time to get something a little better with a bit more magnification for for tripod work but still be able to use from chest if required. I am thinking Vortex Razor or Maven 12 power. Your thoughts? Use will be on western deer, elk and antelope hunts. Maybe someday a sheep hunt.

I use from chest vortex viper hd 12x50 .they are Big and heavy . The little extra power is kinda cool but they don’t see ANYTHING more then my wife’s vortex viper hd 10x42.

if I did it again I’d prolly just go with 10x42 and save up for a good spotter. I would much rather carry the 10x42 around .

I upgraded to Vortex 12x50s for out west hunting. I do not regret it at all. They are great on a tripod. They are a little heavier but not enough to matter.

I use 12 x 50 and have for years. I finally saw a difference from these older leicas when I looked thru the Meopta HD. That's where I'd go if I could swing the price.

Vortex viper 12 x 50 also.

you'll need something to rest them on.
I just use my trekking pole

I've had 12x50 and 10x42 binoculars off and on. If you hunt mostly broken country or in the timber you'll prefer the 10s for the FOV. You will struggle to see any more detail with the 12s while handholding but when using a tripod at a far enough range you'll probably prefer 12s. Just kind of depends on the terrain you hunt and how you use your optics.

I will use 8's and 10's in many situations but in the get up high and glass situations and for lope hunting I am looking at getting 12's to go with carbon tripod as well as 85mm spotter. I have a Nikon ED50 spotter and it is nice and light and works for some situations but time to go big?

I’ve run some 10x Leupolds for a several years - my first set of “nice” binos. Saw recently that a set of Leoupold 12x weighed the same as my current set, so I bought those too. Mostly for whitetail in WI but will also be used for deer and antelope on occasion. I’ll probably sell the 10x binos now as I prefer the extra magnification for how I hunt.

Sell one of your old 8x or 10x binos to help defray the cost of the new pair.

I have a pair of 8x43's and have recently switched over to using 12x50's, have never used 10's. I like the extra power of the 12's, especially when I'm moving. I feel it allows me to see things better, without having to stop and put up the spotter to confirm something before moving on like when I used 8's. When I sit for an extended glass, I use an 85mm spotter along with the 12's.

I have 12x50 Els that I run off my tripod. They are the best pure game finding glass that I have ever owned.

I ran Nikon 12x42s for awhile before I knew about the idea of Exit Pupil, they were light enough to hand hold, but a rest of some sort was definitely appreciated. I originally bought them when I was in ID, but they were mostly used for Bird ID in NY and New England. Afterwards I went to 10x42s and now I'm using 10x50s in AZ on my chest with 15x56s in the pack and am very happy with the combo

I picked up some Maven 12x50s this year for my hunts where I glass distances hard, like high country mule deer. I glass almost exclusively from a tripod in those situations. I got them as a balance of not packing a spotting scope (just can't get myself to like those things) but still having something I can reasonably hand hold. I'll continue pack my 10's on trips where I am not doing as much distance glassing. Only thing I am not crazy about with the 12s is the FOV. I'll test them pretty good on some upcoming scouting trips to get a feel for whether or not that really presents a problem for me.

I have a few 8 power and 10 power bino's of reasonable quality but time to get something a little better with a bit more magnification for for tripod work but still be able to use from chest if required. I am thinking Vortex Razor or Maven 12 power. Your thoughts? Use will be on western deer, elk and antelope hunts. Maybe someday a sheep hunt.
Or for not much more you could get alpha glass. Meopta.

For only a few more day I can get you a crazy good deal on either the Leupold BX4 Or BX5 12X or 15X binoculars. Anyone PM me for details. This is the cheapest price I have seen them in a long time

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back