Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

12 gauge or 20?

yooper

Which do you use for Upland game, and why?

I personally use a 12 loaded with 7 1/2 shot for my partridge hunting. Pats aren't hard to kill and it seems like often it only takes a BB or two to bring them down.

For pheasants, however, I use #5 shot with a little more powder for added punch.... as the roosters can soak up alot of shot and still keep going.

I use 6 shot on pheasants and 7 1/2 an chuckar. I swiched back to a 12 ga. this year becuase I needed to put more shot in the air because I was missing.

Yooper-I use a 44mag on em!
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
bcat

I once knew this guy who----!!!!hehe

------------------
If you aint the lead dog the scenery never changes
bcatrunningcat.gif
Logoboy.jpg

[This message has been edited by bcat (edited 01-11-2001).]

I haven't hunted smallgame in years. Not too much of it here in Jackson. If I did I would use a 12 ga because that is what i have, in fact I have 4 of them. For grouse I do use a 44 mag loaded with bird shot. When i go out for deer 7 elk, i can always bring back a few grouse.

------------------
Elk Hunting 101: Everything You Need To Know About Elk Hunting
www.jacksonholewyoming.net/elk

since i aquired my late uncles 20ga. beretta "silver snipe" its all i have used and i prefer 7.5 shot size for quail etc...

------------------
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison
fef8e353.gif.orig.gif

For pheasants I prefer a 12 ga. with 7 1/2 shot early in the season ,later on I switch over to 6's.
When I'm after quail I run a 20 double stuffed with 7 1/2's or 8's

------------------
minneapolis_moline_farmer_drive_md_wht.gif

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back