1100 vs 11-87

slamdmini

besides the price, whats the difference between the 1100 and 11-87? is the 1100 worth the extra dough. ive shot numerous 1100's so im familiar with them, but ive never shot an 11-87

The 11-87 has a self adjusting pressure system. It's handles a wide variety of loads better than the 1100.

I thought that when the 11-87 was originally introduced, it was supposed to replace the 1100 in Remington's line up. The first 11-87 was still only capable of 2 3/4" and/or 3" shells. With the new VersaMax, other than price, I don't understand why all three models are still being manufactured. After Remington caved in to the NY SAFE laws, and changed their intentions to leave the state if those laws were passed, the idea of purchasing any Remington product has become moot for me. Besides, I'd much rather have one of the new Browning A-5 models.

Only the Super Mag is 3 1/2" I believe.

Right, not all 87's shoot 3.5" but no 1100's do. Just the same as not all 1100's will shoot 3". With proper choke and shot selection most don't need the 3.5's unless you are big on high flying geese and distant turkey's. So you can usually save a couple hundred bucks if you go without the 3.5" chamber. Plus, the gun will function better with lighter loads if it's not geared to handle the magnums.

Not a huge fan of Rem's last few years, but the older ones are nice. For new auto's check out the Winchesters SX3 or the Benelli' M2's or Montefeltro. Both are 3" guns for at or below 1K that are really nice and perform well.

I would second the advice for the Benelli's, have shot many 1100's over the years, but the versatility of the Benelli's is really second to none in my opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back