10 must have apps for outdoor enthusiasts

Sytes

Alltrails is pretty good for map scouting though I do that at home on a large screen vs a phone size.

A good one, if it works well - plant identification. Wouldn't hurt to have it.

I've used GAIA a while ago though w/ OnX, GAIA is not necessary, IMO.

Peakvisor is w/in OnX so not really too interested.

Star walk 2 seems a fun novelty app. Massive clusters of stars at night are enjoyable to view - sounds like a fun add.

Don't care much for campground locators, carin crowd sourced, nor geocaching though if any of the apps are worth your interest, figure the article's worth sharing.

Cheers

Alltrails is pretty good for map scouting though I do that at home on a large screen vs a phone size.

I've used GAIA a while ago though w/ OnX, GAIA is not necessary, IMO.

Peakvisor is w/in OnX so not really too interested.

Star walk 2 seems a fun novelty app. Massive clusters of stars at night are enjoyable to view - sounds like a fun add.

Don't care much for campground locators, carin crowd sourced, nor geocaching though if any of the apps are worth your interest, figure the article's worth sharing.

Cheers

Peakvisor is within OnX? Where?

Ones I find helpful not in the article are
  • National Park Trail Guide
  • NPS (National Park Service)
  • Picture Mushroom
  • Shroomify Mushroom ID
  • SnakeSnap
  • WeatherBug
Surprisingly i would say PlantNet has provided the some of the best bang for the buck. It helps me determine invasive trees and plants so I can figure out the best way to kill them. For years people were calling this invasive species russian olive and it turned out to be bush honeysuckle.

Podbean, Audible, Cribbage and Yahtzee are my go-to apps while hunting solo.

@Sytes: The one that I use is called PictureThis. Use it in the woods, and in the garden around the house.

I use Seek. It’s basically the same as iNaturalist, it’s the same program that’s used to identify plants/animals.

As mentioned above, the Merlin bird app is pretty sweet.

I used the free version of Trout Routes, which has recently been acquired by OnX. It was started by some Minnesota guys who seem cool.

Last but not least Instagram so I can see how Cam Hanes calf development has been coming along.

I like Windy

an app that shows you wind and weather. It zooms in very well for canyons, ridges, and mountains. It helps me with planning routes for archery or rifle hunting.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back