Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

1 of the last antelope i think in montana

jbm

this is 1 of the few antelope we even seen this yr. the #'s are down so bad im lucky to even have 1 for the freezer this yr. last yr i did not even get drawn for the 1st ever.
this yr i got 2 tags and after looking over a million acres and only seeing like 9 antelope i felt bad for them and only took 1 at 312 yrds with my little 25x47 loaded with 80gr TTSX
i left the doe tag unfilled and maybe she will have a cpl fawns next spring to help bring the 3"s back up

Attachments

• 2013 antelope.JPG
    2013 antelope.JPG
    104.6 KB · Views: 585
Nice goat. I have never heard of a 25x47, is that a wildcat load or do I just live under a rock somewhere?

Nice goat. I have never heard of a 25x47, is that a wildcat load or do I just live under a rock somewhere?

yes a wildcat which is nothing more then a 222 rem mag necked up to .257 or a 204 ruger necked up to .257. it is a very fun gun to shoot with very little recoil and super easy to load for. to date i have taken mule deer, white tail , caribou, tahr, chamois, antelope, and black bear all with it .

Congrats. I admire you holding off on the does. If this early weather continues, the antelope are going to take it on the chin for the third time in five years.

Congrats. I admire you holding off on the does. If this early weather continues, the antelope are going to take it on the chin for the third time in five years.

you are very right about that. i truly love to hunt in eastern mt for antelope,white tail, mule deer and elk but it never seems like all of them have an easy time of it over there. from the hard winters to no rain to blue tongue it is just never easy on them. the mule deer area i hunt is down in overall #'s and now the antelope are the worst i have ever seem them. the 1 ranch we hunt antelope on is over 50 sections and we really did only see like 9 antelope. about 10-12 yrs back you could count herds of 30-75 and take your time and go for 1 in the 14-15" range every yr. the last 4 yrs you are lucky to just get your buck and doe.

What District were you hunting out of curiosity?

i was in 700 south of jordan mt 30 miles in on a dirt road. it started to rain last night so anybody that has ever hunting in off a dirt road in eastern mt knows if it starts to rain it is time to get out or you could be there hunting longer then you planned

Attachments

• DSCN0509-1.jpg
    DSCN0509-1.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 476
that pic of my truck in the mud is from a cpl yrs back . just posted it to give you an idea of what can happen if you choose to leave after it starts to rain :D

We were in the same general area, and I was very glad that we tagged out and hit the gravel before that rain hit. It could have gotten ugly quick.

Good buck, especially considering the numbers being so low.

That used to be some of my favorite antelope stomping grounds. If it's 50% of what it was 5 years ago, 5 years from now, I'll be happy. FWP should manage some of those districts appropriately instead of the whole chunk of everything in region 7. South of the interstate is pretty good, but most everything between the Yellowstone and Missouri is terrible. I decided last year, time to give that place a break. I tried 540 this year. Ugh. Just as bad.

Nice buck though!

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ak2021
Back