Caribou Gear Tarp

004-00 Montana elk B assistance

d-edward

Hoping for some help from the members on here. My father lives in Alaska and drew a 004-00 elk B tag and is looking for his first-ever elk this coming fall. I'm a MT resident and don't mind walking or putting in any amount of work to get him into good opportunities; however, he's almost 70 years old and is not the most fit for hiking through the woods for hours. I'm happy to do all the work for the hunt from start to finish...just would like to help him in what might be his only chance to get an elk. I'm also not interested in paying trespass fees to landowners for access.

Does anyone have some leads on Block Management areas, landowners who might be open to us hunting on their property or other ideas for hunts permissible under the tag regulations? I've read through some of the threads on others inquiring on the 004-00 tag and didn't see any leads, but entirely possible I missed some useful information. The hunt coordinator for region 4 also has not responded to my calls. Like I mentioned, happy to do all the legwork, make calls or knock on doors if that's needed - just looking for help getting pointed in the right direction. Would love to help him have a memorable experience this fall.

Thanks for any assistance provided!

Welcome! Google can be your friend. OnX shows there a fair amount of block management in that area. Take a look at the Montana block management to see how the program works to find out what you need to do to be able to hunt those areas.
http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/hunterAccess/blockman/access.html

These is also forest service and state land there. Look at onX and do some googling to find out access rules. Good luck on your hunt.

Welcome! Google can be your friend. OnX shows there a fair amount of block management in that area. Take a look at the Montana block management to see how the program works to find out what you need to do to be able to hunt those areas.
http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/hunterAccess/blockman/access.html

These is also forest service and state land there. Look at onX and do some googling to find out access rules. Good luck on your hunt.
That tag is no good on FS

Welcome to HT. Block Management and State Lands are what I hunt with that tag. I have not yet found private willing to let me hunt it without at least a trespass fee. It happens but to those I know that have known each other their entire life or have some other strong connection (but I travel in a small circle around here) and not about to ask. A doe is one thing, but a cow elk? I hope you have better luck.

Welcome to HT. Block Management and State Lands are what I hunt with that tag. I have not yet found private willing to let me hunt it without at least a trespass fee. It happens but to those I know that have known each other their entire life or have some other strong connection (but I travel in a small circle around here) and not about to ask. A doe is one thing, but a cow elk? I hope you have better luck.

Thanks Western - good feedback. I knew it would be a challenge to find a landowner open to it, but thought I would ask! It's difficult to find those connections since I don't live in that area. Like I said, not opposed to putting in the work contacting folks or offering to help do some work repairing fences, etc. if that's what it takes...but not really interested in "commercializing" the hunting opportunities in R4 with the trespass fee.

Once the hunter access guide comes out, I can better comb over the block areas for this year and compare against Google Earth too.

Thanks Western - good feedback. I knew it would be a challenge to find a landowner open to it, but thought I would ask! It's difficult to find those connections since I don't live in that area....but not really interested in "commercializing" the hunting opportunities in R4 with the trespass fee.
I edited your comment...
I pretty much only hunt public land so I may be wrong but “Corporate Ranches” are not what I think of up here when I think of paying a trespass fee as they are already “commercialized”
Mostly family ranches that aren’t getting rich off letting someone come in and shoot a cow elk. I would be happy to pay a trespass fee for my dad if he was still alive to get him an elk, but that’s me.
Yes, there are places in Block Management holding elk, but that’s where the legwork you mentioned comes into play and guaranteed you won’t be alone.
BTW, the Block Management books are out now.

hey @derekedward, how'd this pan out? I have a 004-00 tag as a non-resident, and am hoping to bow hunt in just a few short weeks. Just started combing through the Block Management book.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisb970
Back