"You guys might have created a Monster with that possibility"...

seeth07

...around the 52 minute mark Randy makes that joke.

Yes, Randy I believe Leupold has. The digital age in hunting is only getting worse. As cool as this technology sounds, it is sickening at the same time knowing the edge this gives a human in the hunting (and even fishing) world.

Which is the reason we need to start taking steps to limit technology in hunting. We are rapidly approaching the point where fair chase is getting questionable. I feel like rolling back technology and the strategies we use to do that need to start getting discussed now so we can have a hope of implementing them in the future.

Which is the reason we need to start taking steps to limit technology in hunting. We are rapidly approaching the point where fair chase is getting questionable. I feel like rolling back technology and the strategies we use to do that need to start getting discussed now so we can have a hope of implementing them in the future.
Just read the title they chose for the FT episode title. There was a lot else talked about on that podcast yet they knew that in order to get high traffic to the Youtube channel they needed to create that title. "This rangefinder will change everything". Yup sounds like something that would catch peoples attention and listen in.

To be fair, a number of states have recently taken action on this subject by removing scopes from muzzleloaders and limiting or totally prohibiting trail camera usage (as an example).

That being said, it is important that the pace of regulating these “game-changing” technologies keeps up with the pace at which they are being created. It’s up to us to continue to be vocal with regulatory agencies to prevent (within reason) the technological advantage used by hunters

It will prove to be a great tool for recovery after the shot.
You range and shoot, drop a pin where the animal was at the shot and you will have a start point to track the hit animal.

I see this as a good thing.
These RF binos run over $3K so it isn't like everybody will have one, but it sure could assist with game recovery after the shot.
The rangefinder msrp is $699, so right there with other “high end” ones. It isn’t available in their range finding binos yet, but those are in the $1,600 range not $3k

I haven't watched the video, but I am assuming there is some sort of connection between the rangefinder and an app on the phone that allows the user to "laser designate" a specific point with the rangefinder and then the exact point shows up on the mapping app?

I think a lot of people already do that don't they? Take a range of a rock, tree, animals or something significant across a canyon, get the distance off the rangefinder, then point your phone at that same point, measure out the distance found by rangefinder on the phone app and mark the point on your mapping app. Sure its not an automatic relay from the rangefinder to the app, but technology has already allowed people to do this manually for years. If you have GPS mapping apps on your phone that allow you to measure a straight line distance from where you are standing, that's been around a while. It may not be exact, but if you know how to read a map with topo lines you can get extremely close.

I didn't watch the whole hour and eighteen minutes.
My RF binos were $3500. But then they also have Applied Ballistics on board.
Didn't realize there were just RF options with tracking.
Oh you can definitely spend $3k on range finding binos, the Leupold ones just aren’t that expensive. I’d expect Swaro or Leica in that price range

While slightly concerning to me and in my opinion a waste of money, marking it on a map/app is just a step in the process, people still have to walk their fat butts over there and shoot the thing...

Thermals are the real problem. I’ve heard they are popular with the flat billed influencers from Utah including use from drones.

Similar tech has been available since 2021 I believe, from at least Sig, Swaro, and Leica.

I have LOTS of friends with the technology, I can't think of anyone mentioning that they actually used it. I've had RF's that would do it in the past, never bothered to try it. While the tech is real, I don't see it being hardly a big deal.

From where I sit, agencies are often reluctant to take a regulatory stance at first, then when it becomes a real problem it's said to be too late the barn door is already open.

We do have some but we need more assertive forward thinkers on technology issues in hunting and fishing regulation.

I have the sig range finder and it will drop pins in basemap. The only time I have used that feature is when hunting private property boundaries. Pretty nice to drop the pin and have a better understanding of where a given animal is in relation to a boundary. It not perfect, I wouldn’t trust it 100 percent but it is a cool feature. That feature specifically I don’t feel gives the hunter a specific advantage. I would say I used that feature 3 times on 6 tags last year.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mallardman1911
Back