MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Yellowstone’s size, variety of elements draw researchers

Ithaca 37

"Forty percent of research in U.S. national parks is done there .....With more than 2.2 million acres of public land adorned by geysers, waterfalls, dense forests, thermal pools, hot springs, rivers, an abundance of animals, insects and vegetation, Yellowstone National Park is Mecca to scientists.

“It´s the center for scientific research worldwide,” said Cindy Kaag, the head of science libraries at Washington State University, who has been a park regular for years."

With all those scientists and biologists in Yellowstone some people still prefer the third hand anecdotes they hear from their neighbor's second cousin about what the effect of wolves is!

http://www.idahostatesman.com/Story.asp?ID=35874

Isn't it amazing how much we can know about something different and charismatic, but how little is known about something more common? Just goes to show, that in any human endeavor there will always be some bias.

Remember too, that one must get a permit to conduct research in a National Park. Therefore if you are finding out and publishing things that make them look bad you no longer get the permit!!!

1 Pointer, What do you know about the scientific integrity of the Yellowstone research? Do you believe some things that are negative are censored? There have certainly been books and articles published that expose purported mismanagement of the Park. And there's always plenty of controversy there. With all those scientists working there wouldn't there be a huge outcry if research results were being censored or edited to cover up things?

There's not a whole lot of censorship, but their is some. Dr. Charles Kay is an example, after he came out with his Aboriginal Overkill hypothesis he was no longer allowed in the park as a researcher. The Park Service is a joke when it comes to USING science. That's about all I know.

My biggest gripe is that we know oodles an gobs about Yellowstone, which is a unique situation. I feel it would be better to spend more of the money and effort in learning to unterstand a more wide spread system.

I have been waiting for the 2003 elk census info to be published showing the effects of wolves on the Yellowstone herds. All I've seen, so far, is the counts in Jackson. I wonder what the holdup is? Anyone seen anything from Yellowstone yet?

Ithaca-
The book Playing God in Yellowstone by Alston Chase shows a different side of the park that is not in the Visitor's Center. If you would like, you could borrow my copy.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back