Wyoming Unit 78 Deer

TN VOL

Hey guys! Myself, two sons, and my wife have been accumulating pref points for awhile, and we think we might have enough to draw Unit 79. I know this unit used to be a really good unit in the past apparently before a big die off. Does anyone recommend this unit for a family hunt with the opportunity of seeing good amounts of deer?? Please PM me or any advice you can give me on this unit..Thanks and good luck in all of the draws this winter/spring

Meant to say unit 78 in my original post..I apologize for just now realizing I screwed the post up..but yes we have points to draw 78 or region H.. looking to do a fun family hunt. Trophy potential isn’t as important. I understand region H is more a high country hunt vs unit 78 has more opportunity for lower elevation sage type terrain and being weather dependent for migrating deer from Colorado.

78 had a huge fire rip through most of the area fall of 2020. Last year they dropped the deer tags issued drastically. Not sure what they will do this year. They have their preliminary numbers out there for tags numbers on the Website but, I haven’t looked yet. We put in every year but we have a house right on the edge of 78. So it’s just close to home. Usually don’t draw it and get a General Resident deer tag and hunt down the road. Not huge deer numbers over the last few years (anecdotal to what I’ve seen). You can and will find deer in the lower country but I don’t see lots of numbers until the end of October when the snow is getting deeper up high.

I had read they rolled over a bunch of people that were drawn for 2020 due to the fire to 2021, which dropped the available tags in the draw for 2021.

Would you all recommend 78 over region H? I know they’re two totally different hunts. I’m looking for opportunity and seeing good numbers of deer instead of only going after 180+ deer, I know region G/H have the reputation of producing big deer but how’s the comparison in deer numbers to unit 78?? Thanks again!

Last edited:
When I was there a few years ago it was a road hunters paradise. Many of the roads had timber cuts paralleling them, I assume for fire breaks. Great deer habitat and lots of gut piles in the ditch... I found a nice one away from the road, but couldn't close the deal. And by nice I mean like maybe 160".

Last edited:
Would you all recommend 78 over region H? I know they’re two totally different hunts. I’m looking for opportunity and seeing good numbers of deer instead of only going after 180+ deer, I know region G/H have the reputation of producing big deer but how’s the comparison in deer numbers to unit 78?? Thanks again!
I've never hunted G/H so can't say anything to it. 78 is a gamble. It can be great, or sucky. Very weather dependent it seems. And of course you won't know until the fall.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back