Wyoming unit 40 archery question on timing

Jacack

Guys I drew a unit 40 9 tag and while I can probably hunt the entire season if needed I will be coming home to a slightly upset wife and 6 yr old. That said if you had to pick 2 -3 weeks to hunt what would you choose? I am keen to the middle probably best rut activity but I have traditionally done well the first week in other states.

Never hunted the bighorns and curious about timing.

Jared

Peak rut is Sept 24th coinciding with the fall Equinox. Moon phases are better the first week of the season or end of it. Hard choice this year. I like the first 2 weeks of September this year because of the moon phase and bills won't be herded up yet. IMHO.

I would hunt the 10th-24 if I only had two weeks. If I had three, I'd probably go the 5th-26th.

Peak rut is Sept 24th coinciding with the fall Equinox. Moon phases are better the first week of the season or end of it. Hard choice this year. I like the first 2 weeks of September this year because of the moon phase and bills won't be herded up yet. IMHO.
The only thing I will say is do not plan your trip around moon phases or when “peak rut” may occur. The elk very well could be silent then and going crazy the first part of October...seen it many times in 40, as well as bulls going crazy in August.

Or 2 feet of snow could drop and you all of a sudden can’t get to most of the unit without tracked atvs. Lots of variables that are more important than moon or equinox IMO.

Last edited:
The only thing I will say is do not plan your trip around moon phases or when “peak rut” may occur. The elk very well could be silent then and going crazy the first part of October...seen it many times in 40, as well as bulls going crazy in August.

Or 2 feet of snow could drop and you all of a sudden can’t get to most of the unit without tracked atvs. Lots of variables that are more important than moon or equinox IMO.
I use these as a general biological guide, but know as you that weather etc will dictate a lot of things.

We're hunting Sept 5th thru 14th in Oregon for archery. Lately our elk have been on rut through October however.

Why not hunt them before they've heard any calls, first week through second to third week. They may come in silent but they will be interested. Our elk rut last year had bulls coming in first week of Sept but quietly.

Why not hunt them before they've heard any calls, first week through second to third week. They may come in silent but they will be interested. Our elk rut last year had bulls coming in first week of Sept but quietly.
That's a great plan. That's why I usually hunt earlier season more than later on our public lands. Sneaky bulls for sure.

I use these as a general biological guide, but know as you that weather etc will dictate a lot of things.

We're hunting Sept 5th thru 14th in Oregon for archery. Lately our elk have been on rut through October however.

Rutting behavior in early October is not uncommon at all. The estrous cycle of elk is 18-28 days, typically more like 21-24 on average. Therefore, any cow that comes into estrus before the 15th of September will come back into estrus in the first week of October. Cows that come in to estrus in late September probably exhibited their first estrus in early September.

I've seen unreal elk rut activity as late as the 7-10th of October, and I've also seen unreal rut activity over Labor Day weekend.

that was kind of my plan, just figured i would ask on here. I know with the holiday and grouse opening there willl be alot of people around and thought maybe i would skip the first week but guess i will stick to my plan of a day before it opens until needed.

thanks
jared

You will have holiday campers but just get in there after the holiday weekend. Camping spots will open up as they leave on Monday morning. Grouse hunters will not be far from roads usually.

JLS is right, we can and have had great rutting activity in early Oct. I would rather try calling elk that haven't heard calls for days or weeks before I got there. The earlier you get there the longer you can hunt.
Good luck on the hunt!

Back