Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Wyoming unit 125 (elk mountain) Late season.

SHEDZILLA

Hey hunt talkers. I have the 125 type 1 tag which is good 10-1 -12-31. due to some unexpected family obligations arising i will not be able to hunt the Oct 1 opening week as i had planned. The tag is good all the way to Dec 31, so my question for you guys who know the elk habits in the unit is this.. Would i be better off waiting till much later in the season like late nov into december after the pressure dies down. Or go mid October as soon a possible. I am aware of the checker board land access issues in the unit and have that part covered. Im mainly trying to figure out what the bulls will be doing in the unit in December. Thanks everyone.

Winter range hunt. Later they should move lower in elevation and possibly out in the flats with snow, unless you have access on Elk Mt for Oct.
I haven't hunted 125 for elk just my thoughts based on the area and what I know of it.
I have seen bulls out in those flats east of Highway 130 after Oct., actually in Sept too.

There is an HMA associated with area 125 but I don’t think they allow type one hunters on there unless you shoot a cow. Once the snow is right you can catch them between the mountain out in more open country.

There is an HMA associated with area 125 but I don’t think they allow type one hunters on there unless you shoot a cow. Once the snow is right you can catch them between the mountain out in more open country.
I actually think your tag goes through 1/31 if you shoot a cow. So plenty of wiggle room if you are happy with any elk. This is my meat tag every year.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ak2021
Back