Wyoming - Taxidermy, Transport and Chronic Wasting Disease

tomengineer

I will be heading out to Wyoming for an antelope hunt this fall. I've attempted to read the guidance Wyoming fish and game offers on what you are allowed to move across state lines. I believe it says you are not to take any piece of the brain or spine out of state. If we are successful how do you prepare the head for transport out of state for either a traditional shoulder mount or European mount? Do you need to drill a hole in the skull and remove the brain matter? Or use one of the drill bit attachments to remove the brain?

Also we plan on having our meat processed in the state of Wyoming. I'm assuming it's ok to bring a field dressed antelope into those facilities to be processed but please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm from a state where we don't have CWD (in large amounts) so I'm not that familiar with the countermeasures.

Thanks,
Tom

Antelope don't get CWD. At least in Minnesota, there are no rules regarding bringing in antelope carcasses. You don't say what state you are from, but check because it may not be an issue at all.

Antelope are not part of any CWD regulation in Wyoming - and presumably any other state.

You'll be good. as stated no CWD in antelope and every processor will do them.

Above is correct as antelope are not ungulates like deer and elk, thus they cant get it.

It’s interesting to me that we’re worried about CWD transmission between cervids and humans, but we seem quick to accept that it can never spread from cervids to antilocaprids.

I’m no expert and have little understanding of the mechanisms behind transmission - it’s just a thought that’s occurred to me. Seeing that domestic cattle and sheep are susceptible to prion diseases, I wonder why antelope are special.

Last edited:
Off topic but WY is clarifying their regulations to allow skulls to be transported (euro mounts) provided it has been caped and brain matter removed.

Off topic but WY is clarifying their regulations to allow skulls to be transported (euro mounts) provided it has been caped and brain matter removed.

Yes you can move your cleaned, intact skull. Euro by taxidermist or just cleaned by yourself. We have boiled skulls for friends that came out to hunt and just removed all meat and tissue from the brain cavity also for friends so they could transport their intact skull home for taxidermy there.
Laramie does have a guy that just does euros and can get them done in about a day or so for you. He is licensed.

Yes you can move your cleaned, intact skull. Euro by taxidermist or just cleaned by yourself. We have boiled skulls for friends that came out to hunt and just removed all meat and tissue from the brain cavity also for friends so they could transport their intact skull home for taxidermy there.
Laramie does have a guy that just does euros and can get them done in about a day or so for you. He is licensed.

Any contact info for the guy you speak off

Back