Caribou Gear

Wyoming Snow

I drive from Bozeman to Denver and back every Thanksgiving, Christmas, and early February. I usually see hundreds of antelope through Wyoming on those drives.

I drove back to Montana last Friday and didn't see a single antelope in Wyoming.
That's crazy. I've never gone anywhere in WY without seeing antelope.

Just curious, how do the moose handle a winter like this? I have a bunch of points and was considering a Unit 25 or 26 moose tag for this fall.

Can't say about that area, but my coworker in Kemmerer says the deer are taking a beating this winter. I drove 191 through Pinedale a couple weeks ago and there were areas where the snow was deep enough that it covered all of the sagebrush. Wind hammered it too so tough to paw through. Hopefully it'll ease up soon.
I like to backcountry ski in the Upper Green and on Monday there were 2" of hard crust over 2 feet of sugar snow. When the skis submarined it took all my energy to get back on top. This happened with every step. Yes, most of the sagebrush is covered, but the south-facing slopes are a little better. I'm sure it's a bad winter for our deer, especially with this new storm and minus 10 degrees plus wind.

We were just talking about how this has been worse than '20-'21 (a damn tough winter in south-central Wyo) and is comparible to '83-'84. Snowing again right now...

How's it been out near Lander? Better or worse?

Just curious, how do the moose handle a winter like this? I have a bunch of points and was considering a Unit 25 or 26 moose tag for this fall.
Moose are browsers, and a lot of times are eating willow etc. that is 6+ft tall. I think winter affects moose more from a predator aspect (can't move) than a food availability aspect.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back