Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Wyoming Runner Faces Off With Hungry Bear Stalking Him

Gotta love how the article makes it sound like this was a maneater and this brave dude somehow overcame being eaten. I’m pretty sure instances of black bears hunting people are extremely rare. It sounds like this bear had been habituated to being fed by people and associated the jogger with a free meal. Tourists need to quit feeding the damn wildlife

You all posted my thoughts on this. Bravado that really wasn't. If that bear was any threat to start with, it would of attacked aggressively. It likely was looking for a free handout that other people probably tossed to it. When it didn't get fed, it simply left.

You all posted my thoughts on this. Bravado that really wasn't. If that bear was any threat to start with, it would of attacked aggressively. It likely was looking for a free handout that other people probably tossed to it. When it didn't get fed, it simply left.
Either that or the runner was a "Bear Whisperer".

The article and the video were both purposefully overdramatic and I think he should have done a better job of clearing himself and less worry of video. The "bear whispering" was fine, but really don't need to tell the bear all the details. As far as the bear's motives, it's important to remember if it was looking for a handout, likely to become a bigger problem down the road (pun intended). I wonder though if being a park bear might just not care that much about people, seemed like it might have just wanted to walk down the road a bit and save some energy, and the guy was just a nuisance to him. At one point it looks like it's holding it's ears back a little bit, but no real signs of aggression, I think the bear was just as annoyed by this guy as I was.

The article and the video were both purposefully overdramatic and I think he should have done a better job of clearing himself and less worry of video. The "bear whispering" was fine, but really don't need to tell the bear all the details. As far as the bear's motives, it's important to remember if it was looking for a handout, likely to become a bigger problem down the road (pun intended). I wonder though if being a park bear might just not care that much about people, seemed like it might have just wanted to walk down the road a bit and save some energy, and the guy was just a nuisance to him. At one point it looks like it's holding it's ears back a little bit, but no real signs of aggression, I think the bear was just as annoyed by this guy as I was.
Yellowstone has big problems with tourists feeding the animals. Some bears seem tame and people feed them from the cars. But they can turn in an instant. I think this was probably one of the bears in similar situation used to handouts from humans and probably begging.

Guy survives after harassing black bear, that is what the headline should read. The pictures didn't even look that it even cared that he was there.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back