MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Wyoming Region W

wistowy

Had a successful trip to region W. Goal of trip was to see what I could see and prove 50 isn't too old, just overdue.

Arrived in unit 82 on September 30 and hiked in and set up camp in the SE part of unit. To say there are a few blow downs is an understatement, made for some very tough travel. Hunted there opening day and half of second day. Seen 4 deer, probably same 2 twice as was same area and very little deer sign. Hunting conditions(100 yard shots and sitting feeding areas)were what I thought much like Wisconsin except at a 45 degree angle and less people. Overall a win win. Picked up camp and headed west of Baggs to unit 100 Wednesday afternoon. This area was supposed to have low deer numbers(agree) but better size(unproven). Hunted here Wednesday night through Friday morning. Seen 4 does in one bunch and lots of deer sign so just proof I'm a bad hunter. Seen lots of wild horses and MANY road hunters. Put on many miles hiking and seen some beautiful sights, win win. Friday headed back to Baggs for lunch and get my fix of communication with daughter. Recommend General Store in Baggs, awesome nice people there!! Friday afternoon headed northeast of Baggs to sagebrush hills. Met a great guy from Colorado who gave me some good advice. Area seems to have its share of road hunters as well, lots of UTVs. Hunted/scouted Friday night, seen 4 does. Up early Saturday and headed for a valley that I found that didn't have a road, or so I thought. Started seeing deer right at sunup, all does, maybe a dozen or so. Found my first buck around 9am but he found me at the same time and him and 3 girlfriends scooted around the ridge before I could get a shot. The girls ditched him and headed south down the valley so I figured he could be just over the next ridge. Amazing he was, 258 yards with no clue...bad day for him. Got him cleaned up and quartered and started the 2.25 mile hike back to the truck with the good meats and a front shoulder. About 2/3 of the way there met the most awesome couple in a UTV who gave me a ride to my truck and showed me the road to within half of a mile of the kill site...got everything packed out and in the cooler headed for Wisconsin by noon. Another win win.
Not a huge buck but perfect for me. Last of the summer sausage comes out of the smoker in a few minutes so again a win.
Was a great time, only regret was I didn't get to check out unit 131. Remember the goal was to see what I could see.
Probably won't do this trip again, have some elk points to burn so that's the next game to be played.

Attachments

• IMG_20191005_094932697.jpg
    IMG_20191005_094932697.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 109
MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back