Wyoming Recap

duck wrangler

I just wanted to follow up on initial posts I had on this forum asking for advice/things to do.
My wife and I made the drive out to Wyoming and arrived on the 13th. I hunted the morning of the 14th while my wife was finishing up school work(teacher).
I saw plenty of pronghorn; including one good buck chasing a doe. I passed on 5-6 bucks early on basically because I didn't want the hunt to end so fast and I thought I could find one a little better than what I saw initially. I was hunting private, so I was the only one on the ranch which made passing a little easier!
I picked my wife up at lunchtime and we rode back in to where I was in the am. On the ride in, we saw a few mule deer does and one small group of pronghorn that I had seen earlier in the day.
As we came around a bend, I glassed a solo buck bedded on a hillside.

I put the binoculars on him and he was bigger than any others that I had seen earlier, so I decided to put on a stalk. I had a hill between us, so if I could get to the side of the hill, I should have a 250-275 yd shot. I was able to get to the hill and most of the way up before he realized something was off and stood up. I didn't have a solid rest on the hill due to rocks/sage, but got to where I could have the best shot. I was shaking like a leaf and had to actually put the gun down once to calm my nerves! I got myself together(for the most part) and was able to squeeze the shot off.
He went down even though the shot was back a little more than I would have liked!
IMG_4447.JPG

I used dry ice in the cooler and everything was solid when we got back to Virginia early Saturday am.

After the hunt, my wife and I were able to take in Devils Tower, Mt Rushmore and Crazy Horse memorials. We did make the stop at Wall drug just because we had to drive right by it; uneventful, but we did stop. We really didn't get the chance to visit many other places as we took too much time on the stops that we did make. It really was a great experience and the weather was as close to perfect as I could have imagined. You guys that live out west have some absolutely beautiful land!

I appreciate all of the comments/suggestions that this forum gave me in regards to the trip; it was all helpful.

Back