Yeti GOBOX Collection

Wyoming Range deer update

BuzzH

Just got an email about how the deer are doing in the Wyoming Range. Looking to be doing pretty well it would seem:

Following our capture from a couple weeks ago, we just wanted to share a figure displaying the condition of animals following this winter. Certainly some signatures associated with the severity of the winter. Though, can’t help but think that the fat levels going into this winter helped those southern animals cope with the severe conditions (more to come on that front as we analyze data!). At the same time, the conditions on the southern winter range were quite variable (quite bad on the northern end, much less severe on the southern end, which also was reflected in the condition of animals as we went from north to south. A few losses associated with winter malnutrition so far, but nothing like we’ve seen during the previous 2 bad winters (16-17, 18-19).

Please don’t hesitate to holler if you have any questions. And, thanks so much for your support and commitment to this project!

Wyoming Range Team

1585079712249.png

Thanks Buzz.

Side note, when they’re at 14% it’s considered healthy but when I’m north of 20% the wife calls me a fat ass.

Just tell everyone you're well poised for 3 months of <2,000 cal diet and can survive on less food incase of long-term shelter in place orders :) That's where I'm at on it anyway....

And thanks Buzz for sharing that info. Long-term data like that are so critical to unraveling the mystery of population performance.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back