Wyoming parcels other than State or BLM ground

undercover

Greetings again, still a newbie on this site but gaining more and more knowledge every day. I have more questions the more research I perform. Especially as the draw looms nearer and nearer for Wyoming cow/calf. Other than State and BLM land, and HMA's and Walk-ins, I have found some ground ownership labelled such as Bur of Reclamation, Wheatland Irrigation District, University of Pittsburg Office of Financial Information, and Wildlife management areas(these have like green and blue dots covering theses areas on the OnX app). I will use Morgan Creek Wildlife Area as an example, as there are several others throughout the state. Maybe this is public knowledge to the experienced, maybe some of these are honey holes and it's top secret, or maybe I have overlooked publications for these areas for rules and regs. I think I have been pretty thorough so far on my research. I have 4 areas for late cow/calf in mind and still pouring over my options as to what I am going to put for the draw. Are these aforementioned units open for hunting? Do I need permissions prior to? Is the Wildlife Management Areas for sanctuary only with seasonal studies being performed? I would love to hear your answers, pm's are welcomed as well. My handle is undercover, but in actuality I think I should call myself "Question Boy"!

Thanks again for your time, blessings all and Merry Christmas

Brian aka undercover

The Wheatland Irrigation District land west of Laramie is essentially private and leased to an outfitter. WHMA’s are open for public use, with some access restrictions (found here: https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Public-Access/WHMA). BoR is like national forest or BLM. National Wildlife refuges each have their own rules. Some can’t be hunted, others can.

The Wheatland Irrigation District land west of Laramie is essentially private and leased to an outfitter. WHMA’s are open for public use, with some access restrictions (found here: https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Public-Access/WHMA). BoR is like national forest or BLM. National Wildlife refuges each have their own rules. Some can’t be hunted, others can.
yes, that link to the WHMA is something I completely missed, I appreciate that link.

The Morgan Creek Management Unit is Bureau of Reclamation land that is managed by the WGFD as a habitat management unit through a memorandum of understanding (MOU) which basically places surface management responsibility with the WGFD. They (WGFD) can limit motorized/non-motorized access, grazing management, etc. on the lands included in the MOU. In this case, it is open to hunting access, motorized access ends on 12/1 (11/1 next year) and opens back up on 5/1. Type 6 elk tags are only applicable OFF of the HMA. BOR retains other management rights via the MOU, such as road improvements and maintenance, industrial development, etc.

Other Habitat Management Units have different rules/requirements. In many, the deeded land is owned by the Wyoming Game and Fish Commission. It is still deeded lands, but owned by the department so they can decide restrictions same as any other deeded lands. In many cases, the department restricts all human access during certain periods. Usually they are open to some for of hunting during some period of the year. BLM lands within HMAs are managed as per the district/field office Resource Management Plans.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceemee63
Back