Wyoming Late Season Cow/Calf

KayakMacGyver

Floridian here looking for some Wyoming help.

My wife has expressed interest in an elk hunt and the plan was to take her to Colorado for OTC this year. Unfortunately (but VERY fortunately) I drew a sweet tag in New Mexico in an area with some gnarly terrain so she's opted out. Since I'll be taking 2 weeks off from work to hunt New Mexico, I wasn't expecting to make elk happen for her this year. However, my schedule tends to free up in January so I thought about a late season cow/calf hunt in Wyoming. Pitched her the idea and she's all about it. This is only my second year Elk hunting, so I'm still very green about the process and hunt.

I need some help selecting a unit to apply for. I took the list of available tags and condensed them down into only units with the date range that we'd be able to hunt, a short description of any special restrictions, percent public and the original quota available vs what's available in redraw.

If anyone here would be willing to help me out, I'm not asking for specific areas within a unit, just some help picking a unit. Weather seems to be a major variable and the amount of snow could influence the herd migration greatly. Is this true for every late season cow/calf unit? I'd have flexibility on timing, so booking a late flight isn't a big deal. Also, I know that i may have to just roll the dice about the weather part, which is OK too.

There seem to be a lot more variables with this kind of hunt, including National Forest Only (not sure how the elk in the National Forest are affected in late season), private roads blocking access to public, etc., and I'd hate to make a rookie mistake and bring her out to an area that's devoid of any elk. Having just driven through Wyoming on my way to Nebraska, I can imagine some places never seeing an elk...but what do I know.

If you're willing to help, please PM me. I can share very specific intel pertaining to just about anything you'd ever want to hunt/catch in Florida. Alligators, Grouper, Hogs, Turkeys...you name it. I'm just trying to get my feet wet with this Western thing and don't really have a network.

Thanks in advance!

Justin

Last edited:
PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back