Wyoming hunters safety question???

Lmwmihunter76

OK so I am taking out my kids and BIL for a Wyoming antelope hunt (fingers crossed we get our tags drawn). My BIL is a new hunter and has not yet taken hunters safety yet. His hunters safety course was scheduled for this weekend but was canceled due to the coronvirus scare :mad:. My question is do you have to have hunters safety before you apply or just before you actually hunt??
I looked over the WY fish game regs but could not find an exact answer.

I had my youngest brother take the Texas hunter safety through the website below. I chose Texas because they don’t have a range day so its 100% online. He completed it all in a few hours one evening. You just log into the Texas dnr page and print your certificate when done.

I had my youngest brother take the Texas hunter safety through the website below. I chose Texas because they don’t have a range day so its 100% online. He completed it all in a few hours one evening. You just log into the Texas dnr page and print your certificate when done.

This is an option many have used.
Good luck in the draw.

You only need to have proof of passing hunter education while you are hunting in Wyoming. Nothing required for just applying for a tag. Just don't forget your card when you leave for Wyoming. I know I almost have forgotten mine a couple of times. Never has mattered though because I've never been checked by a game warden in Wyoming.

On three separate occasions in the last 4 years in Wyoming we have run into the game warden while hunting or at game check stations and never once have they asked for our hunters safety card. They have only checked that we have proper licenses & stamps and if our tags were filled our correctly. Now I've had my hunters safety card with me each time but they've never asked to see it.

OK so I am taking out my kids and BIL for a Wyoming antelope hunt (fingers crossed we get our tags drawn). My BIL is a new hunter and has not yet taken hunters safety yet. His hunters safety course was scheduled for this weekend but was canceled due to the coronvirus scare :mad:. My question is do you have to have hunters safety before you apply or just before you actually hunt??
I looked over the WY fish game regs but could not find an exact answer.
MT has an apprentice hunter program. Not sure if wyoming does but it might be something to look into.

Yes we do have a hunter mentor program, link was posted above.
Some states have verified hunter safety and it will show on your license, that is why GW may not ask about it, it shows verified on your tag.

Being a geezer, I never had to have a hunter safety card. Then a few years ago I looked into hunting in Hawaii and they require everyone to have one.
So I went on line, and the first site that I looked at was from Montana. Since I had been hunting for over 40 years, I decided just to try the test. I guessed on one question about hunting in a group, which I rarely do, and aced the test. And because I had been in the military or because I had previously hunted so many years, they didn't require me to do a range day, so I paid the fee and a week later I got a certificate and card in the mail.

I've used the hunter mentor program for both my girlfriend and several younger guys that were getting into hunting. It is a good short term solution. Keep in mind they need to be with you at all times, but that't not a big deal. I would check with the Cheyenne office to make sure this is applicable for non-residents.

You only need to have proof of passing hunter education while you are hunting in Wyoming. Nothing required for just applying for a tag. Just don't forget your card when you leave for Wyoming. I know I almost have forgotten mine a couple of times. Never has mattered though because I've never been checked by a game warden in Wyoming.
I had an interaction with a game warden last year and he mentioned that he accepted a picture of the certificate on your phone. Just an FYI to use as a backup incase you forget your card or it gets lost or stolen.

Back