Wyoming general elk adventure!

I had no idea it was this pretty up here. Gorgeous country! We took this pic 3 miles back into a long hike! Weve seen some elk and heard a few bugles...we did see a really nice bull last night back in here, so we're gonna see if he comes back out tonight. 20220918_121501.jpg

Anyone know what this could be? It was near a creek, but not near enough that ot would have washed out. The nails are the old style and the lumber was 2 inch...whoever built it did some good work for it to still be together this long.
20220918_112532.jpg

I wish that I would have put a judo tip in my quiver and bought a small game license. There are sage grouse/pine hens (I don't know the difference- they're both delicious) everywhere. We've probably seen 30 of those meals on wings walking around!

Probably blue/dusky grouse if at altitude and in pines. Sage grouse are usually in the foothills/prairie... and in some zones only have a season of a few days with a limit of one, so be sure.

Probably blue/dusky grouse if at altitude and in pines. Sage grouse are usually in the foothills/prairie... and in some zones only have a season of a few days with a limit of one, so be sure.
Actually Sage Grouse season changed for some areas this year.
Area 4 is Sep 17-19 with a limit of two.
Area one has a limit of two.
Areas two and three are closed.

We decided to move camp locations to near Afton. We have been in elk everyday since then! Good times. What people don't tell you is the elk country here is steep as a cow's face!

Alright guys, we made it back home to Southern Utah. We had a great hunt! We were in elk almost everyday. I got to watch my 16 year old son at full draw on a 4 point bull at 12 yards. That was super cool!

We are going back for the rifle hunt, so hopefully we will see some more animals. Like some of the other threads, I didn't see the crazy rut action that was hoping to see, but the elk were fairly talkative. We found elk in almost every canyon we looked for them. Some of the canyons just weren't worth dropping into to chase the smaller bulls. Maybe I'll feel differently on the rifle hunt.

I'll keep updating the post as we get into cell service on the rifle hunt. Overall, 10 out of 10. Would recommend. Just seeing the stars without light pollution was worth the trip!

Anyone know what this could be? It was near a creek, but not near enough that ot would have washed out. The nails are the old style and the lumber was 2 inch...whoever built it did some good work for it to still be together this long.
View attachment 240056
It may be an old bogg bridge. We have a few of those in our locals Wilderness. They work great for keeping horses from sinking to their bellys in the marshy meadows. I bet that's what it was at one time.

Sounds like a fun trip. My dad and I are planning to rifle hunt SW Wyoming in 2023. Never hunted Wyoming but hoping to get into elk.

Sounds like a fun trip. My dad and I are planning to rifle hunt SW Wyoming in 2023. Never hunted Wyoming but hoping to get into elk.
We had a blast and I hope you and your dad have a grea adventure. We found elk by getting high and glassing, then spending the next day getting into a position to get a shot. It was a lot of fun, and hiking around in that gorgeous country was good for my soul. Good luck in 2023!

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back