Wyoming Elk Unit 99 - is it worth it?

GoatHntr

Dear All,

I am considering an elk hunt with a friend next year in Wyoming. We have been accruing points for Wyoming for a while, and we’re strongly considering a rifle hunt in Elk unit 99.

Of course weather and conditions are a big factor, but generally, my concern/ question about 99 is, as non-resident hunters without access to the wilderness area in 99, how much of a disadvantage would we be in? In your opinion, is hunting elk in Unit 99 worth it if wilderness is off limits? Thank you in advance and good hunting!

Some to hunt without having stock, if on horseback you would want wilderness. The problem is 99 isnt a lot of land: subtract wilderness subtract BLMs with little to no elk and you aint got much left, however they are your points to use. One additional factor bears(including food storage), but thats getting to be problem lots of places in wy. Good luck

Some to hunt without having stock, if on horseback you would want wilderness. The problem is 99 isnt a lot of land: subtract wilderness subtract BLMs with little to no elk and you aint got much left, however they are your points to use. One additional factor bears(including food storage), but thats getting to be problem lots of places in wy. Good luck
Thank you for the feedback I appreciate it! Those are all excellent points you bring up and confirms what I was concerned about. I agree the bears are becoming a huge problem in Wyoming, especially for elk hunters.

Also eyeballing this unit. You can confirm there are bears in the unit?

There are bears in every unit in the Winds. Not as many as NW of there, but you still have to follow all the precautions because they are there. If you don't want to really think about bears in WY you better be looking S and E of the Winds. Pretty much any unit W and N of there bears will be a factor.

This story is from not too far from 99

Wow, that story raises the hair up on your neck!

Was a little, but the point is if you're going to hunt in that area of WY you better think about it. I have hunted a lot all over WY and MT, but I got a little complacent and I knew better. You don't see bears all the time so you forget they are there right up to the point they are right there. If you want to hunt that country you just have to be on your toes all the time. I like to hunt solo and I like NW WY, but it's a hard mix.

I have hunted a lot all over WY and MT, but I got a little complacent and I knew better. You don't see bears all the time so you forget they are there right up to the point they are right there.
Yeah my friend kept saying "well we haven't seen any bears around" and I had to keep reminding him that doesn't mean anything at all, not only can they be right under your nose and not see them, it's nothing for them to cover many miles and can show up at any time.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back