Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Wyoming Elk Unit 33 - cow tag help!

hunt1up

So our group applied for our expected hunt, unit 12 cow. Last year it was near 100% draw. Well this year that same unit was rated as a green chip deer unit by Eastmans. Apparently the deer hunters wanted cow tags too, because the applicants tripled and we didn't draw.

Anyway, we put unit 33-6 as our second choice and we drew. Last year it had a 10/9 opener, so if we drew we figured we'd just bump our trip back a week. Well it looks like this year they moved the opener to 11/1.

Because of this move in season, we aren't too keen on hunting that late in the season. For one, it's whitetail rut here in IL. Secondly, I know how unpredictable the weather can be in WY during October, let alone November. We would possibly have to use the tag in late November or December.

So should I figure on crap weather? Also, given the layout of the land, it seems the elk would likely be on private after some bull season hunting and some snow on the higher elevations.

We're tempted to eat the tag and go dump some antelope and/or deer points.

There are some spots of public you might be able to try some late season, but you are right that a lot of the elk will be lower down on private. That being said you might have some luck getting on private that time of year to kill a cow.

If you decide to go for it, shoot me a PM and I will show you where I would look.

Landowners tend to be much more agreeable to letting guys on their property to kill a cow vs a buck or bull in my experience. Especially elk since they do more damage.

The weather can be the whole factor in your success. The areas that I hunted last year is usually full of elk late in the season. The weather warmed up and they stayed high, so the public land was still full of elk, but they were tough to get to.

Wyoming can't seem to make up their minds on some seasons, so unless you have the fortune of being flexible, it can be pretty frustrating. Fortunately, I am retired and have family in Wyoming to stay with, so the entire season is possible for me.

Good luck with your decision.

The weather can be the whole factor in your success. The areas that I hunted last year is usually full of elk late in the season. The weather warmed up and they stayed high, so the public land was still full of elk, but they were tough to get to.

Wyoming can't seem to make up their minds on some seasons, so unless you have the fortune of being flexible, it can be pretty frustrating. Fortunately, I am retired and have family in Wyoming to stay with, so the entire season is possible for me.

Good luck with your decision.

I could be somewhat flexible with our departure date, but the length of hunt isn't as long as I'd like this year. Maybe 6-7 days hunting. In the unit that we already knew, that would have been enough. But 4 guys in a new unit would be tough.

We're leaning toward eating the tags and burning antelope points.

So if you don't mind me asking did you go thru with the elk hunt? If so how did it go? I've drawn this tag this year and I'm trying to do all the key board scouting I can. So if you have any info you are willing to share I would appreciate it.

So if you don't mind me asking did you go thru with the elk hunt? If so how did it go? I've drawn this tag this year and I'm trying to do all the key board scouting I can. So if you have any info you are willing to share I would appreciate it.

Welcome to HT! Sending him a PM will probably get you a response. His last log in was a couple weeks ago. He likely won’t see your post as you didn’t tag him in it.

Welcome to HT! Sending him a PM will probably get you a response. His last log in was a couple weeks ago. He likely won’t see your post as you didn’t tag him in it.
Thanks for the help! I'm still new to this.

Good afternoon, I'm in this situation for 2021. Looking for some words of wisdom of from others who have hunted this unit in the past.

Good afternoon, I'm in this situation for 2021. Looking for some words of wisdom of from others who have hunted this unit in the past.

Wow, I forgot about this thread! I haven't spent as much time on Hunttalk in recent years. In our situation we ended up eating the tags and went antelope hunting instead. It wasn't an ideal decision but all we could manage that year.

Two friends drew 33-6 the following year. They went bowhunting for several weeks and never really got any opportunity. Elk were all mostly on private.

Wow, I forgot about this thread! I haven't spent as much time on Hunttalk in recent years. In our situation we ended up eating the tags and went antelope hunting instead. It wasn't an ideal decision but all we could manage that year.

Two friends drew 33-6 the following year. They went bowhunting for several weeks and never really got any opportunity. Elk were all mostly on private.
Good to know. Thank you for the information.

That stinks they were all on private when your friends were out during the archery season. I've been thinking about picking that tag to hunt during as I thought they might be on public.

How was the hunting pressure when your friends were out there in September?

That stinks they were all on private when your friends were out during the archery season. I've been thinking about picking that tag to hunt during as I thought they might be on public.

How was the hunting pressure when your friends were out there in September?

I don't think pressure was so much a problem. Just access.

There is elk on public in 33 during the archery and rifle season. I have screwed up quite a few opportunities....

The most scarce resource for elk in that country is water, figure out where they are watering and go from there....

There is elk on public in 33 during the archery and rifle season. I have screwed up quite a few opportunities....

The most scarce resource for elk in that country is water, figure out where they are watering and go from there....

Thanks for the feedback on 33! I'll have to do some e-scouting on water within the unit.

I see you are from MN as well, hopefully I'll get to meet you at one of the RMEF banquets. I'll be at the one South of the River Chapter Gun Blitz banquet on August 18th.

Thanks for the feedback on 33! I'll have to do some e-scouting on water within the unit.

I see you are from MN as well, hopefully I'll get to meet you at one of the RMEF banquets. I'll be at the one South of the River Chapter Gun Blitz banquet on August 18th.

I will probably try and go to the south of the river. Where is it at this year, Horse and hunt? @NoWiser you involved this year?

I will probably try and go to the south of the river. Where is it at this year, Horse and hunt? @NoWiser you involved this year?

I'm not quite as involved this year as I usually am, due to selling our house, moving, and starting a big remodel/addition project. But, I'll be there helping out with the crew.

We are doing things just a bit different this year. Our usual date at the beginning of April at Horse and Hunt was still a no-go due to Covid. So we are doing something a bit less formal at Rack's Sports Bar & Grill in Burnsville. Come on down if you are free!

2021 RMEF Invite.png

I hunted it hard last year late season and never cut an elk track on accessible public. Lots of hunting pressure. The game warden said it was one of those "should have been here last week" situations.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back