Caribou Gear Tarp

Wyoming elk hunt recap

Nice bull! Hopefully them being quiet means they will still be in late rut for first rifle in Colorado. I wouldn't mind them making some noise while I am out there.

Reactions: JAG
Just got back home from 8 days of elk hunting in the eastern Bighorns. We were there 9/16-9/24. The bulls were really quiet until the morning of the 24th. I would guess that we heard a total of 5 or less bugles before that morning and we were covering 10-15 miles per day all over different parts of the unit hiking to find elk. Still found elk each day but the bulls were silent and all solo within tiny little bedding areas. It seemed more like late or early season than pre or peak rut. I did end up killing a nice six point on day six by spotting him bedded and moving in for a 20 yard shot.

Wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences with quiet elk at this time of September in this area? Some locals that we ran into said that they tend to see that the action really doesn’t start until the last week of September historically. Interested in what others have to say from experience.

Tough hunt but still a great one as I killed my best elk to date and saw some awesome country.

View attachment 241502
Excellent work! I'm going to the bighorns in October for my son's rifle tag. Hoping the other big ones flee from the east by the time I get to town. We are very excited.

About how many inches did this one fetch?

Excellent work! I'm going to the bighorns in October for my son's rifle tag. Hoping the other big ones flee from the east by the time I get to town. We are very excited.

About how many inches did this one fetch?
I am not sure as I did not score him yet. I would guess right around 300 but I’m also not the best at judging size.

Reactions: JAG
Seeing a lot of the same in WY. All last week I was into bulls that were solo and back in their hidy holes. They are still bugling, but not a cow in sight. I spent the week of the 11-17th antelope hunting with my dad thinking it would be prime after and now feels like I missed something. From what I've seen throught the west the last few years(best action late Sept. early Oct.) I'm still holding out hope, but you never know year to year.

Congrats! I'm heading to the south eastern Big Horns next week for a rifle elk hunt. This gives me hope.

Congrats on the bull! Just hunted the NW side of the Big Horns from 21-28th with my dad. We were in bulls with cows every day, but assumed we were a week late because the bulls had no interest in leaving cows to a bugle or for a cow call. Got in on them a couple times in timber - once with 2 bulls screaming at each other 50yds away from me, but I didn't see them until busted because of the downfall and timber - hindsight says I should have been more patient. Most days (mornings and evenings) the bulls would bugle back and forth at 100yds away - we moved closer and they moved back to 100yds - but bugled the whole time. A mile is a long way to walk through timber in 50yd chunks. :)

Congrats on a great bull!

I just got home from Montana hunting HD150, bugling was nonexistent, wallows were touched, but not as much use as we normally see this time of year. We got in tight (5 yards) to a cow on one occasion. From discussion with outfitters in the area, they said that its been quiet as ever all season. one day of hearing bugles so far (all outfitters said the same day). I am not banking on early cycle or late cycle on those elk, I am banking on the fact there are no elk anymore in the Bob Marshall. regardless, we had a great hunt, great times, no filled tags, but fun nonetheless. I will be back in Montana next year, will not be hunting the Bob Marshall lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back