Wyoming Elk - First Time

Kalvin

Hey, guys. This will be my first year trying to elk hunt. My brothers and I are looking forward to something other than whitetail. We have narrowed our hunt down to Wyoming. I just have a few questions that some of you can hopefully help me with.

Our goal for this year is to get out there, hunt hard, have fun, learn a lot, and hopefully see some elk. We would be ecstatic if we could take a cow or two. I am thinking that I would like to be able to cow hunt an area that I could potentially hunt in a few years with a general tag after I have spent some time learning the unit.

If I put in an app for the general elk as first choice, would I still have a decent shot of drawing a cow tag on my second choice?

If I did draw the cow tag, would I get a preference point for next year?

If you draw a cow tag as a first or second choice, do you still get the reduced price?

This is what I was thinking, I could be way off track here. Feel free to set me straight. One way or the other, we want to be elk (cow) hunting this season. If that means we need to put in for a cow tag as first choice, and pay full price, it still sounds like a good way to get our feet wet.

Thanks in advance

Welcome to HT. With a little searching on here I think you will find the answers to your questions. But, in short, the reduced price (cow) draw is completely separate and independent of the full price draw. Two seperate applocations. However, some units have a type 4, or type 5 that are full price cow tags. Preference points are only good for the full price draw. If you don't draw your first choice and draw your second, I believe you don't lose your points. But you aren't automatically awarded one either. Same if you don't at all. You will have to purch a point after July 1. I don't know how many general areas have easy to draw reduced price cow tags, but you'd have to look at the drawing odds on the G&F website. Good luck.

Because general and reduced price are two separate applications, there's a chance you can end up drawing both, although small chance on the general if you don't have points yet. You can get reduced price tags on the left over draw, so if you don't want the chance of drawing two tags put in for general and hope you get lucky on the random draw, then put in for the left over reduced price tags. There are some general units that have left over cow tags, if you look at the left over draw results from last year you can get an idea of what areas had left overs. Gotta do your homework though, every unit has different issues like access, migration patterns, etc. that you need to understand before you buy the tag.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back