Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Wyoming draw ?

Busyfarmin

I was looking at the draw odds from last year on a hunt I'm considering applying for this year. Me and my brother are going to apply together and I have a preference point and he doesn't putting us in the <1 category. Last year there were 0 tags for <1, 2 for those with 1 prference point, and 15 total tags for those with >1 up to 5 points but nobody with more than 1 point appied. My question is do those tags that were available to those with higher points that nobody applied for become leftover tags or what happens to them?

People with up to 5 points did apply or they wouldn't show on the demand report.

In your example there was a quota of 17 tags and all were gone by the time the computer got down to the guys with less than 1. The last 2 tags being drawn in the 1 point pool. There were no leftover tags as they were all drawn.

People with up to 5 points did apply or they wouldn't show on the demand report.

In your example there was a quota of 17 tags and all were gone by the time the computer got down to the guys with less than 1. The last 2 tags being drawn in the 1 point pool. There were no leftover tags as they were all drawn.

There is the random portion of the tag draw, too, so there is a chance to draw two tags as a party IF there are sufficient tags for 2 random tags in the special or two in the regular. I know for non-residents applying for elk, often is not 2 tags in the random bucket since tags are quite limited in many limited entry units.

If there are 100 tags for non-residents in a pronghorn unit's hunt then the split is 45 tags via preference in regular, 15 tags via random in regular, 30 tags via preference in special and 10 via random in special. Undrawn tags fall into leftover process. If are 10 tags rather than 100, divide above numbers by 10.

Thanks for clearing that up. I was over thinking it and for some reason thought that was the quota for each point amount instead of the total quota it makes sense now.

While on this topic, I wanted to get some opinions. I am not a big pronghorn guy, but like to throw a hunt in occasionally. I burned my WY points 3 years ago and am now at 2. I don't want to chase any of the primo units any more. What I'm wondering is what point total provides the best VALUE at which to burn points. I'd like to avoid being in no man's land, such as the vast Colorado elk no man's land between 5 and 19 elk points, where another point has zero value. Thanks.

There is the random portion of the tag draw, too, so there is a chance to draw two tags as a party IF there are sufficient tags for 2 random tags in the special or two in the regular. I know for non-residents applying for elk, often is not 2 tags in the random bucket since tags are quite limited in many limited entry units.

If there are 100 tags for non-residents in a pronghorn unit's hunt then the split is 45 tags via preference in regular, 15 tags via random in regular, 30 tags via preference in special and 10 via random in special. Undrawn tags fall into leftover process. If are 10 tags rather than 100, divide above numbers by 10.

In the op's case, there were no tags remaining in the PP side of the draw. The Random side is a separate allocation and any tags that may have remained after the PP round do not move to that side. Tags remaining after both Special draws (pp and rndm) are added to the initial NR Regular allocation and the Regular PP and Random are re calculated.
Tags remaining after the Regular nr draws are made available to the 2nd pass of the Resident draw, then the 2nd pass of the NR draw.
Tags remaining after that go to the leftover sale.

While on this topic, I wanted to get some opinions. I am not a big pronghorn guy, but like to throw a hunt in occasionally. I burned my WY points 3 years ago and am now at 2. I don't want to chase any of the primo units any more. What I'm wondering is what point total provides the best VALUE at which to burn points. I'd like to avoid being in no man's land, such as the vast Colorado elk no man's land between 5 and 19 elk points, where another point has zero value. Thanks.

You talking special or regular? For special, I'd say 5 is about as high as you want to go. Your options at 6pts and above drop quite a bit after that. So 2 to 5 would be the sweat spot.

Last edited:
I normally just do the regular draw. But on occasion I'll do the special like elk this year. I doubt I'd do it for lope.

Back