Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Wyoming draw 2020 question

beginnerhunter

So I have a couple elk points in Wyoming. I'm only looking at the NR Regular draw. If I really want to hunt Wyoming 2020 should I ONLY apply for general tag? I read on Gohunt that Regular draw NR applicants will not draw the general tag as their 2nd choice but wanted to confirm on HT that I was reading that correctly.

Basically, if I want near guaranteed success for drawing NR elk tag in the Regular draw I should stay away from applying for limited areas, right?

Thanks!!

You are correct. There are a few limited quota areas that can be drawn with 2 points, but a general tag will give you MUCH more public land to work with. However, you're unlikely to draw a general tag with 2 points. In 2019, a hunter with 2 points had a 37% probability of drawing a general tag in the regular draw. The probability will certainly go down in 2020.

It will be interesting as many NR absolutely don't like the drawing changing to June so maybe a few less applicants, or more trying to burn PP and get out.
It seems though, that even with changes in the past, applicant numbers have not gone down.

Yep, if you want a near guarantee to draw, you'd better either have 3 points or pony up for the "special" tag. Good luck.

It will be interesting as many NR absolutely don't like the drawing changing to June so maybe a few less applicants, or more trying to burn PP and get out.
It seems though, that even with changes in the past, applicant numbers have not gone down.
Dang, so like 5 years before I'm going to be able to hunt Wyoming... Since I missed the PP this year and have 0

Dang, so like 5 years before I'm going to be able to hunt Wyoming... Since I missed the PP this year and have 0
Regular non resident elk tag cost $692, special is $1268. Subtract $50 from either of those for the point and spend the remainder on a camera. Then you could go to Wyoming figure an area Out and not have the pressure to fill a tag, but still get the same experience.

nr regular is $707
Special is $1,283
there is a 2.5% CC fee added at checkout
they ding you $15 app fee for each app, which is included

there is no subtraction for a point, it's purchased later in the "point only" draw

Nr Elk apps have never gone down
If you really want to hunt, you could get a cow tag.

Last edited:
Regular non resident elk tag cost $692, special is $1268. Subtract $50 from either of those for the point and spend the remainder on a camera. Then you could go to Wyoming figure an area Out and not have the pressure to fill a tag, but still get the same experience.
I've got a nice camera already, gonna get a phoneskope to get some good pics of them at a range. Going to go to wyoming in early october next season for Antelope, hopefully will be able to get some good scouting in as well. I can't imagine it's going to take 10 days to fill 2 antelope tags (Mine and my girlfriend). Hopefully we can find either mule deer tags or a unit to look at elk in!

Reactions: ZBB
nr regular is $707
Special is $1,283
there is a 2.5% CC fee added at checkout
they ding you $15 app fee for each app, which is included

there is no subtraction for a point, it's purchased later in the "point only" draw

Nr Elk apps have never gone down
If you really want to hunt, you get a cow tag.
I am aware that the point doesn’t come out automatically, and you have to purchase it later. The point I was trying to make was if someone had, as you pointed out $707 or $1283 for an elk tag. They could take $50 out of that set aside elk adventure money to buy a point at a later date, then use the remainder to buy a camera, or put it towards a “scouting trip”. That way there isn’t pressure to fill a tag or deal with the logistics of getting an elk back home. Basically learning an area to hunt before you draw the tag.

Photos taste like crap. Personally I'm hoping on the NR random reduced price cow/calf tag odds getting better but not gonna hold my breath.

I could be one of the casualties of the draw change for Wyoming this year. I won't be applying other than for a PP later on. I am sure there will be many people like myself who can't work out the strategy in the same way as before, so it might be a better year for NR draw odds after all. In prior years there was 100% chance I was going to apply - so there may be some validity to hopes that it tamps down applications. In a nutshell, if I already know I'm going to draw a tag somewhere else, I can't "take the chance" I might draw in Wyoming and only find that out in May, which is after the deadline for any "guaranteed" tag I might be after (or one of many other scenarios that conflict). This year I am in a different situation than even that, as I already have an ID tag. Drawing anything else this year would further conflict - I can't take that many trips - although I'll be willing to take that chance on certain once-in-a-lifetime tags, and eat the "lesser" tag. In the meantime, with PP's in the back pocket, at least I'll feel like I am not moving backwards in WY while I wait for a better year to apply.

shush..lol

And this is why I hope CO never goes down the Wyoming road... imagine how much it’s going to suck if even applying in 3-4 states you still cant hunt elk as a non-res but every 3 year.

And this is why I hope CO never goes down the Wyoming road... imagine how much it’s going to suck if even applying in 3-4 states you still cant hunt elk as a non-res but every 3 year.

As long as CO allows a NR or R to hunt elk every year without burning your points then point creep will continue. WY has very few options to hunt and not burn your NR points. In CO can buy elk archery tag, buy landowner tag or buy auction tag or get leftover tag or get a turned in tag and in all those cases you keep building your elk points.

There are a couple of LQ WY elk units you can draw with 0 points as a NR...but they are entirely or almost entirely federally-designated wilderness, so you would need a guide or a WY resident companion to hunt there.

If you "really want" to hunt elk in WY in 2020 you can use the above strategy, or pay for the special draw to get the general tag with 2 PP's, or do your research to see what other LQ units you are very likely to draw with 0-2 points (mostly type 4/5 cow/calf tags, or areas with little public land).

Alternatively, you can skip the PP draw next year altogether and put in for a LQ Type 6/7 cow/calf tag in some areas that have decent NR draw odds, and even better draw odds in the leftover draw (some are 100% or close to it). Using this strategy you can get a decent cow tag in WY every year, and when you have enough PPs to ensure you draw a General tag, snag that every 4 years. This is what I'm planning to do, with Type 6/7 cow/calf tags in 2020, 2021, and the general tag in 2022.

Last edited:
Back