Yeti GOBOX Collection

Wyoming deer areas 143, 144, 145 and 135 (region G)

This thread has some of the most off the wall advice on region g that I’ve read so far. No one cares about whitetails in these units.

This is a muley I got North of Fontenelle Creek in 135. I am in the barn of the landowner who gave me permission. This one was October I believe 2006. And it was snowing big time when I got this one.

Attachments

• Deer1.jpg
    Deer1.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 90
Doug, I understand your intentions are good, but you need to understand that a nonresident who builds points for the better part of a decade to hunt to hunt Region G isn't doing so to hunt the same terrain and caliber bucks as can be had with a leftover tag elsewhere in the state.

If I was an NR in G I'd go in being happy to eat a tag. It's as classic as high country mule deer gets, and time spent there glassing bucks is worth the price of the tag. If you just want to shoot a mule deer it's a poor value.

As a resident, I have different values on what I shoot, hunt and put in for and pay an average of probably $35.00 per tag for deer including fees. However, as a NR do not write off private property. Deer do not act like elk and always go up high. Some go on to private where they feel safe. I have seen but will not shoot the older bucks for deer because I am a meat hunter and don't like the meat from them. However, you will find monster record class bucks on private. Those that do not move onto private will go up higher and into hard to travel areas as others have mentioned. If you can get private access in G private land access is an advantage in your favor. In September, October time frame, I have found bucks of various sizes often in bachelor herds by the creek on private property laying in brush just out of reach from the BLM land to the south. I hunt 135 for deer about every other year. Regardless of what you hunt, I disagree with them being scarce at all. They are in there. It takes patience hunting the public but the are there weather you want a B&C class or a freezer buck like me.

If I was an NR in G I'd go in being happy to eat a tag. It's as classic as high country mule deer gets, and time spent there glassing bucks is worth the price of the tag. If you just want to shoot a mule deer it's a poor value.

+1000

As a NR, when I get my crack at it, it's either a 4+ year old buck or eating the tag. I'd be fine with either result.

You can blast forkies and 3x3's just about anywhere in an afternoon, for cheap.

I don't plan on saving long enough to draw G. There's zero chance I'd be able to pass on a 3.5 yr old, not after spending a lifetime in WA shooting sub 120" 4x4s.

I will not shoot anything doe, cow or buck younger than 3 years for elk, deer or antelope. I like to see them mature first and get some offspring out there first before I shoot them. If I shoot a 3x3, it's a big 3x3. I prefer 4 points or better on deer. Elk I might take a 4 pt if the body bulk is big enough. I save my type 1 or general license until the last to days or so in an attempt to harvest a trophy and by that last full day I don't have it filled, I go ahead and harvest what I can on it but only if they are mature 3 yrs old or better. I sent someone in my hunting group in Colorado packing when he shot a fawn deer bedded in a sunflower field. He was never invited to hunt with us again. Plus he tried to get someone else to tag in once he realized how small it was.

Well this got so off topic from orginal question guy aint been back, dougs 9 posts about whitetail doe hunting some of the countries best highcountry trophy muley country might be part of it....hope guy has good hunt

This made me laugh out loud. Pretty soon guys will be flocking to the private to pop wt does. Who would want to climb up high and shoot an old mule deer buck?

If Rinella and Cal made an episode out of it, we'd have the high country to ourselves!
Yeah instead he made an episode out of the high country, granted IIRC they didn't see many good bucks other than 2/3 they killed. I'm way off topic but hey that's all this thread has been...of all the hunts to get an outfitter for, I don't really understand why they did for that one. I enjoyed the podcast with the family and all, and there's no shame in it by any means, it's just a pretty doable hunt for a couple of fit, middle aged guys who know what they're doing. Thorofare elk, white sheep, most things international I can see, but not deer in G. Just struck me as odd.

Yeah instead he made an episode out of the high country, granted IIRC they didn't see many good bucks other than 2/3 they killed. I'm way off topic but hey that's all this thread has been...of all the hunts to get an outfitter for, I don't really understand why they did for that one. I enjoyed the podcast with the family and all, and there's no shame in it by any means, it's just a pretty doable hunt for a couple of fit, middle aged guys who know what they're doing. Thorofare elk, white sheep, most things international I can see, but not deer in G. Just struck me as odd.
I wondered the same thing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back