Caribou Gear

Wyoming deer / antelope combo

Ellspert

Looking at doing a combo hunt this year. My son and I have enough antelope points to draw unit 73 this year and I have more than enough points to draw a deer tag in the same unit. I realize the unit is huge so is a combo hunt obtainable? So if we were successful in the draw would we be better going the last 10 days in hopes of catching a better buck(deer)? How are the antelope up in the NW corner since that is where I keep reading to deer hunt? Or is there another part of the unit that a guy should concentrate on for deer and antelope together? As of now I am thinking about staying in the wall tent which would allow me to be mobile. I also have a quad to get around if needed. Is there a butcher shop close by that would allow a person to hang an animal if needed? I hate to burn all my deer points on this unit but 1 less than max really has me in no man’s land and I am ready to get out of the deer points. I am hoping if I can put some time in behind the glass and spend 7-10 days looking for a buck I could come up with a 165” or hopefully better. Which I realize may be tuff in that unit. I would appreciate any pointers you all may have.

Sounds like 3 tags? I'd suspect your antelope hunt would be over in a day unless you're being picky. After that, you could focus on deer. Or you could hunt deer in the morning and afternoon, and antelope midday. I'm not sure if I would try to do it all in one trip, but you could certainly do it in 7-10 days. I would go hunt antelope a few days before the deer season starts, but that's me.

With your plan, you would need to kill four animals to fill all tags. I’d split it up. Go antelope year one. Use that hunt to scout for deer. If you like what you see, go back and deer hunt the next season.
We only have the one deer tag. Starting to think about going just for antelope in a unit next to this one and waiting on the deer. We will be coming from a 10 day archery elk hunt in Idaho and that should put us in Wyoming around the 25th of September. Planning on staying at Boysen state park as of now.

Looking at doing a combo hunt this year. My son and I have enough antelope points to draw unit 73 this year and I have more than enough points to draw a deer tag in the same unit. I realize the unit is huge so is a combo hunt obtainable? So if we were successful in the draw would we be better going the last 10 days in hopes of catching a better buck(deer)? How are the antelope up in the NW corner since that is where I keep reading to deer hunt? Or is there another part of the unit that a guy should concentrate on for deer and antelope together? As of now I am thinking about staying in the wall tent which would allow me to be mobile. I also have a quad to get around if needed. Is there a butcher shop close by that would allow a person to hang an animal if needed? I hate to burn all my deer points on this unit but 1 less than max really has me in no man’s land and I am ready to get out of the deer points. I am hoping if I can put some time in behind the glass and spend 7-10 days looking for a buck I could come up with a 165” or hopefully better. Which I realize may be tuff in that unit. I would appreciate any pointers you all may have.
We hunted antelope in Unit 73 in 2018 and friends hunted it in 2021. Both groups stayed in wall tents, hunted around Oct 1 and had excellent hunts with minimal company, taking animals in the mid-60s to low-70s class. We explored the NW corner of the zone thinking the terrain would be more interesting and fun (i.e., more like deer country), but ultimately decided to hunt the northcentral part of the zone. We hung, skinned out and quartered our antelope put them on ice in coolers. Caspar is a long drive.

There are plenty of antelope in 73, and the NW part of the area is definitely your best for deer. A 165" in any area is a large deer. I personally would consider focusing on the antelope this year and spend your extra time scouting for a good deer to hunt next year. My .02

We've hunted 73 last 2 years for antelope. Night and day to compare to say the least. Many fewer goats than 2 years ago. That are is also getting g blasted by snow this year so I would guess further tag cuts when the numbers come out

We've hunted 73 last 2 years for antelope. Night and day to compare to say the least. Many fewer goats than 2 years ago. That are is also getting g blasted by snow this year so I would guess further tag cuts when the numbers come out
That’s what happens when the brilliant game and fish issue too many tags. And now a harsh winter on top of it.

That’s what happens when the brilliant game and fish issue too many tags. And now a harsh winter on top of it.
Yea i have been following the weather out that way. Sure doesn’t look good. Might just be sitting this season out. We will see how it shakes out when the time comes. Thanks for the help.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back