Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Wyoming Cow Elk Area 104 Help

Hunt_fish_Family

Hello all,

I know it's tough to give up the honey holes but I am hoping for some direction. Myself and 3 of my buddies are meeting my brother and our good friend from Minnesota in Cokeville Dec. 5th for a few days of cow elk hunting. The Minnesota boys have never been elk hunting so we're breaking them in on a cow hunt. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions in the Area 104 game unit. We know the snow has been falling so hopefully the animals are moving down from the high country. Any suggestions would.be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone in advance!

You may get lucky and find a few in the area that is referred to as the "stock driveway", but for the most part, the elk will most likely be in Fossil Butte, which you can't hunt. I've spoken with WGF about this issue, the elk know they're safe there, so that's where they go. WGF has a problem getting their harvest quota for cows and calves in 104, and that's why. If we don't get a bunch more snow, you may find some up around the ski resort, and possibly north of there.

Hope this helps some,
Jbo

Depending on the snow and weather you could either hunt any where between Coal creek and Pine Creek. The biggest thing in those areas is being willing to park and walk. This area has a lot of road hunters with low success because of that. My suggestion is if there is fresh snow, once you cut fresh tracks, park and follow em. Or just park, find a good place to glass and you should see something. If access up Coal creek and Pine Creek aren't good because of snow then access Dempsey Ridge thru Kemmerer. Also bring a sled to help with that pack out. I hunted this area for the first time last year, took me 2 hours to locate the elk and the next two days a buddy and me both got elk. Good luck

Thanks OPYFF...that's a great start. It just so happens we are bringing the sleds! I can't wait to introduce my brother and friend from Minnesota to elk hunting in the wide open west!

I will keep you posted on our success... I had a great start to the season with a OTC, public land archery bull in Idaho so hopefully this will end the season in style!

Last edited:
Dog Day just a heads up, we did get some snow this weekend and expected more with wind, so I would come in anticipation of snowy cold conditions yourself and the vehicle. Temps won't be bad but the drifts might be

Thanks OPYFF...we're outta here tonight after work and in Cookeville tomorrow mid day. Hopefully the next thread will be a 6 for 6 cow elk post!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skywagon
Back