Caribou Gear

Wyoming County Roads

Dougfirtree

I'm heading out to spend a little time hunting antelope in Wyoming this Fall; first time ever. The unit I'm in has a limited amount of public land, so I'm trying to identify potential access points. I've heard many times that you have to be careful about roads; that there are roads that seem like they're public, but are not. I had a look at the Natrona county map (got the link from another thread on here), and I have to ask: Are these county maps up to date? I'm seeing vast networks of roads on other maps, most with names, numbers, etc. that aren't showing up here. Are they really all private roads? Some of them are roads that other hunters have pointed out to me, as being driveable, but they're not on this map...

In any case, any advice/wisdom on this issue, from experienced Wyoming hunters would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Call the road and bridge dept with specific questions, or the sheriff as they handle trespassing calls in the county.
County roads can pass through private land, they may have a cattle guard across the road and private property signs at the cattle guard. These mark a change in pasture or landowners beside the road, not the road. If the road has a CR sign with a number then it most probably public along it's length. I have seen and been on county roads that pass right through a ranch, between the house and barn, and are public roads.
I sent an email to the road and bridge dept. Call them if possible (307) 235-9311 superintendent's number.

That map is dated August 24, 2017 so I'd trust it for county roads. Make sure to have a copy on you for multiple reasons. Untangling public road access can be tough until you're on the ground but you're off to a good start. And like wytex said, landowners post no trespassing signs along county roads that can be confusing but as long as you stay on the road, you're fine. OnX will be your best friend for this hunt. Good luck!

That map is dated August 24, 2017 so I'd trust it for county roads. Make sure to have a copy on you for multiple reasons. Untangling public road access can be tough until you're on the ground but you're off to a good start. And like wytex said, landowners post no trespassing signs along county roads that can be confusing but as long as you stay on the road, you're fine. OnX will be your best friend for this hunt. Good luck!

I anticipate that ONX will be essential for finding public land and staying on it, but are their maps helpful for figuring out roads as well? I've never used their services before.

The email I received from the R&B super. states that he recc. calling and asking about specific roads. The map does show some roads that are "ranch" roads and are not public.
He did answer my email in a timely manner so that option is also a good one. His email address is on the webpage http://www.natrona.net/67/Road-Bridge

I anticipate that ONX will be essential for finding public land and staying on it, but are their maps helpful for figuring out roads as well? I've never used their services before.

OnX isn't directly helpful for figuring out road ownership but it's invaluable to find places where public land crosses roads and give you the peace of mind to know you're not trespassing. I typically use they WYGF Hunt Planner map, OnX and/or a gazateer to ID a handful of places where public land crosses what I think is a public road and then I check it when I get to the hunting unit. It looks like you're already on the right path.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back