Caribou Gear

Wyoming back-country deer 2018

dididraw

I got the bug last winter to do a solo backpack hunting trip in WY. I found some guys that gave me several great starting points for an area so I applied for the tag. Half the fun was getting ready with conditioning, equipment, maps, etc.

The pre-scouted buck I wanted to pursue was in a basin that required a 5.5 mile hike in with about 3,200 ft elevation gain (the last two miles required some bushwacking as the trail doesn't receive much attention). I arrived a day before the opener and got set up on the ridge above the basin where the big buck had been scouted. It was a spectacular spot.

The first 2.5 days I watched that basin from every angle I could while staying as inconspicuous as possible to not disturb the deer. I found seven bucks those first couple of days. I had one tempting buck in range for about an hour and a half one evening but I held out hoping to find the bigger buck.

Here is the tempting buck:
2018-09-15_09-05-45_575.jpg

Here is another buck that was living in the basin - 160ish buck in full velvet:
IMG_3426.jpg

There was a local hunter camped near by (I didn't even realize I was crowding him because he had his tent tucked away nicely in the trees). I spoke with him the 3rd evening of the hunt as he was walking back from another basin. He was a super nice guy that offered me a bunch of great information and showed me pictures of what he was seeing (he is a very accomplished hunter and was seeing 2x the number of bucks that I was). He had passed on the buck I was hunting and was gracious enough to share information about his location and a nice photo he had taken. It was so nice to have someone be kind and helpful. He shot a great buck two days later in another basin.

Here is the buck I was hunting:
2018-09-16_07-34-40_175.jpg

I hunted this buck for the next four days. I had to leave camp around 5:30 to get to the basin where he was living to be there by first light (not many good camping spots in that vertical country). The first morning over there I saw him but he was already moving into cover for the day. I didn't ever see him again.

I had packed enough food for six days. I had stretched it to six and a half days. On the evening of day six I was looking for the big buck when I decided to move a few feet and glass the other side of the ridge. I found a nice three year old bedded right along the route I would be using to hike out. Over the next hour I watched him off and on while continuing to look for the big buck. I was considering the 11 mile round-trip hike to retrieve more food - it would take about seven hours and make me miss the morning or evening hunt and only give me an additional day and a half to hunt. About an hour before dark I decided this buck would make a fitting end to a great hunt. I double timed it off the ridge and stalked to about 150 yards.

Here is my 2018 buck - he has a cool double brow tine on one side.
IMG_3497.jpg

I had enough of a cell signal that I had heard about the guide who was killed by a grizzly. I knew there weren't any grizzlies in the area I was hunting but I was a bit on edge listening to the sounds of the night as I boned my deer for the pack out the next day. I decided to try and get out in one trip (I REALLY needed a shower and was excited about a big fat hamburger), it was brutal but I made it without incident.

The pack:
IMG_3505.jpg

Can't wait to get back there some day. Many thanks to the great guy from WY and my friends who gave me some great intel on a place to hunt. I got everything I had hoped from the trip - beautiful country, lots of buck sightings, solitude (didn't miss ATVs at all - not even mine :)), physical and emotional test, etc.

Sounds like an awesome experience all the way around beautiful buck congratulations I’d love to do that someday.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back