Wyoming Area 100 Elk

O C Hunter

Where were the bull elk in Wyoming Area100 in 2012? The published success rate was 80.6% based on harvest surveys and sampling. I find this hard to believe. I hunted Steamboat Rim/Mountain, Essex Mountain, Oregon Buttes, Boar's Tusk, Jack Morrow Hills, etc. After 7 days, I finally saw antler: 2 raghorns and a 5x5 that was 3 or 4 years old. Maybe the real harvest based on landowner coupons should be used.

We had the pronghorn tag in that area last year and after spending 5 days there and seeing 3 tiny bulls we told ourselves we'd never put in for unit 100 elk again. There has to be better zones and since then I have found that there are many more that are a lot better. The biggest bull we saw wouldn't break 200 inches. Two of the bulls we saw were in the Honeycomb Buttes too, but if you shoot one in there be prepared for a long pack out with the meat.

You might try the rolling sage hills within 3 miles of the eastern boundary. Those that I know that have killed big bulls have lived very close to the area.

was just there over the 4th weekend scouting for a friend that drew the tag. we saw quite a few bulls, probably 3-4 over 310. the biggest being a 340 class 5x5. saw hundreds of cows too.

that was the first time in the unit for me so i have nothing to compare it to.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back