Caribou Gear

Wyoming Archery 2018

masmcclintock

With WY deadline coming up, I know it is on everyone's mind. I was wondering if any of you guys had thoughts on areas to focus on for a NR elk archery hunter with 5 points. Would it be worth burning them (knowing that I will not likely to get a guide for wilderness) or should I keep building for a few more years? I am just looking for a good experience that my brother and I can get into some elk, and not focused on shooting a P&Y bull. Merry Christmas and thanks!

I am relatively experienced (I'm no Randy!!!). My brother and I have been hunting NM the past few years and have gone 4 for 5 on archery public land bulls with the tags we have gotten. I have looked at some of the drawing odds and units 120, 122, 25/27, 39, 41 have looked like possibilities thus far. Has anyone had good or bad experiences in any of the above?

Some experience... I'd take 39 over 25/27 for achery any day. More generally, I'd take any of the big horns archery over the WR range.

I have heard that the weather can get pretty dicey in unit 39 in late Sept/ early OCT. I should have enough points to draw a Type 1 rifle tag in 39, but that hunt doesn't start until OCT. I'm not opposed to having a good time with a rifle either.

Unit 41 sounds like it is somewhat hard to access, but could hold some good animals....?

I could also draw unit 37 Type 9 archery only, but I don't know what to think that it turns into a general unit for the rifle hunters.

Anyone have some insight to any of the above?

First you need to decide for sure whether you just want to archery hunt in September or try for the Type 1 tag in a unit that allows you to buy the archery permit and hunt with a bow the last half of September and then fall back on the rifle season in October if you don't fill the tag. It looks like you're aware that only the Type 9 tags can hunt the September archery season in 38, 39, and 40, so those are out for that and you don't have enough PPs for the Type 1 tag in 38, 40, or 41. You can probably draw the Type 1 tag for 39, but that can be iffy for weather in the October rifle season like you mentioned. The Type 9 tag for unit 37 is also doable with your 5 PPs for the September archery season only, as is the Type 1 tag for unit 41 with the knowledge that the Type 1 guys can buy the archery permit and hunt the last half of September with a bow there. There are no problems with access in 41 to the best of my knowledge and I scouted that unit last season and it looked good if the weather is right. These comments are all strictly based on the Regular Draw stats for last season and they could change with the large license fee increase for 2018. Good luck, as your point total is in there where you can't draw the real good units and you may not want to burn them on a general tag that may still only take 2 PPs to draw. If you have a buddy that you could get to go with you as a party to average at least 2 PPs you may want to put in for the general tag that gives you a ton of units to pick from to hunt both the rifle seasons and the archery seasons if you buy the archery permit that is also going up from $30 to $72 for 2018. However, that permit can be purchased online right now for the 2018 season at the $30 price until 1/1/18.

topgun what do you mean by weather being right for unit 41? I am thinking about a type 9 tag for 1.

topgun what do you mean by weather being right for unit 41? I am thinking about a type 9 tag for 1.

In a normal year the September season is great throughout the units in the Big Horns (been out there every year since 1999 and Sept/Oct for quite a few years since I retired in 2002) and the weather is usually comfortable for hunting during the day and chilly at night. It's the infrequent unusual storm that can hit early up high in the mountains and move the elk down out of the better hunting areas in the NF into the BLM and private lands below. I guess any time you're in the mountains anywhere after August that is something to take into consideration though. If I was going to draw that tag, I would hunt the first two weeks or the middle two weeks of September before the rut really gets going and the better bulls are completely herded up with their cows.

Last edited:
You've gone 4 for 5 in NM on your tags? I'd say the hell with WY and hunt NM again!

IMG_3808.jpgIMG_2609.jpgIMG_5633.jpg

New Mexico has been good to us, but it is time to try some new territory. I am sure we will be heading back to NM soon! Do anyone have any advice on units 93 or 95? Looks like it will be in grizzly country, but that fact might be outweighed if those are units with a decent number of elk to chase.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back