MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Wyoming Applications

Just my 2 cents but if Wyoming would just roll tags not drawn by residents into the leftover pool instead of right into the NR pool most residents wouldn't grouse about the ratio of tags allotted to NR.

Buzz have you listened to Mary Woods talk down in Texas about CWD. She makes some comments about deer management that lead me to believe G&F will be making changes in season structure and harvest goals. She specifically compares elk management to deer, and the liberal elk seasons and take compared to mule deer.

Just my 2 cents but if Wyoming would just roll tags not drawn by residents into the leftover pool instead of right into the NR pool most residents wouldn't grouse about the ratio of tags allotted to NR.

Yep....

Buzz have you listened to Mary Woods talk down in Texas about CWD. She makes some comments about deer management that lead me to believe G&F will be making changes in season structure and harvest goals. She specifically compares elk management to deer, and the liberal elk seasons and take compared to mule deer.

Have not, but talked to Lee K. briefly a couple nights ago in regard to CWD and changing season structure and harvest goals. I wouldn't look for any significant changes in the near future. There is a pretty big push to increase sampling in harvested deer, but I don't believe the GF is going to hit the panic button. Infection rates have plateaued in the Laramie Range and remained largely unchanged for a long time. It was also discussed that CWD has likely been in the Laramie Range deer herd longer than they initially thought.

IMO, there's so many unknowns with CWD, and when you look at the epicenter, which is SE Wyoming...I just cant draw conclusions that deer and elk are doomed to become extinct like some models I've seen. There's very little doubt CWD has been here at least since the 60's. If CWD was going to crash deer and elk populations, one would think in 40-50+ years we would be experiencing that by now. Yet, we cant control the elk herds in 6, 7, 19 etc. even with gobs of cow tags and long seasons.

I wish more was known about CWD, but, relatively speaking, its a pretty "new" problem.

I'll get with Lee and talk to him some about it...

Just an outsider and NR tag buyer here, so what I say matters very little. But I believe one of your WY Game and Fish Commissioners, Mr. Dube, understands the full economic impact of NR hunting, especially on the Buffalo community.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shed God
Back